Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Towing with 22" wheels??

weeman1020

Reaction score
Members Ride
Holden ss Ve sportswagon z series
Hi guys im thinking of getting around a 4m tinnie and just not to sure how my wheels will go with towing ect ? , i know the boat & trailer wont weight more than 750kg because it will be fairly small . but the tyres are 245/30/22 , ive never towed anything with the wagon and not sure if it will be safe or not?

Benboy

Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 SVZ Wagon
Have a read of the Owners Handbook supplied with your vehicle for ALL related information including maximum weights etc. Make sure that you have a quality towbar installed by a reputable manufacturer. Your vehicle should easily tow 750kg (well within it's towing capacity).

_R_J_K_

Reaction score
Members Ride
Zenki S14
Only real problems you will run into towing that weight will be ride quality because of the tiny side walls and final gearing because of the large size of the wheels (the ratio doesn't change, but the more weight you tow the harder it will be to get up to speed).

You really shouldn't have any problems with a weight like that though.

uniacidz

Harden the Frak Up
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
Yeh shouldnt be any issues at all.

Jecs

PAVTEK Race Engines
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
'97 Caprice 355ci & VZ SS Ute
you shouldnt have any drama. my mate tows his work trailer (which is a big steal box with tools and carrying upto 5 doors) so its very heavy

he has 20" rims and runs cheap **** tyres.

ducker85

Reaction score
Members Ride
09 VE clubbie R8
check all the load rating on the rims and tyres (which should be met to be legal anyway) and then yes your safe to tow.

Knew of a guy who worked for wheel worx in SA who had 22's all round on his HSV 22s on the car 22s on the boat trailer!!! which was dual axle

weeman1020

Reaction score
Members Ride
Holden ss Ve sportswagon z series
Cheers guys, just need to get a towbar then get the boat and I'll set, just not 100%sure where to get my towbar from