Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Towing with Bone Stock VE 6.0L L76 Engine w/ 6L80 Auto Transmission

XUV

Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV XUV & Raised Cross 8 Trayback
3.0L SIDI V6...Max.Towing with Auto 1600Kgs. ( Optional with upgraded cooling package.)
3.6L SIDI V6, 3.6L LPG V6 & 8.0L.V8 Max.Towing with Auto 2100Kgs......Max.Towing with Manual ( Petrol only ) Transmission 1600Kgs.
Max. towing speed for all 100Kmh.

Straight from the Horse's Mouth ( GMH )

Please no arguments.....if you wish to see Santa Clause this Xmas....and in the future become a Nomad!........Take care.

You'd think you'd be able to tow more with a 8.0 V8 torque monster ;) thou The saggy bottom IRS does let them down :p

Bhp Steel

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
holden
You'd think you'd be able to tow more with a 8.0 V8 torque monster ;) thou The saggy bottom IRS does let them down :p

Quite correct...I have seen VE's, VF's, SUV's towing monster caravans....must twist, turn and wreck the chassis on the modern day vehicle....because they only made out of chewing gum and plastic...not like the good old HQ's to the HZ's where you could install air shocks on the rear of the car.....this does not apply to Prime Mover's and the like..... only to GMH passenger vehicles!

XUV

Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV XUV & Raised Cross 8 Trayback
Cross 6/8's are the last to have the ol' leaf spring set up, plus the Cross trac's EBD, which applies the brakes if the load shifts= best tow vehicle GMH made
and adding air bags just makes them better.

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
It's not just about pulling power, you also need to be able to stop/control all that extra weight.

Epic Pooh

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE II Calais V V8
Interesting thread guys. I've just taken my (new to me) VE Calais V V8 wagon for it's inaugural drive with my little van on the back. My little van is a 1978 Jayco Dove (aprox 1400kg laden, ball weight around 135kg) and it towed it like a champ. I found the biggest hill I could and up it went like a rocket, no probs at all, and then found a gnarly downhill twisty mountain road, no probs - good handling and brakes no pushing the car around at all. Very impressed all round. Particularly as I hadn't set up the height of the WDH properly and hadn't mounted the bars (intend to use a WDH to keep it level and go easy on the rear suspension on long trips).

I usually tow this van with my LR Disco 3 V8 and I think the Commodore is at least as good at towing it. The only two issues I have are that the vision is rubbish compared to the Disco when towing (need some better mirrors) and the traction when reversing the van up the slippery wet driveway back into it's garage is pretty dodgy.

I've had lots of commodores in the past and this one is definitely the best at towing. Also demonstrates that for moderate loads there is little need for a 3T 4wd when taking road only trips.

phillmac

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 Sportswagon 2011
Towed easy cause the car is still a fair bit heavier than the trailer, trouble starts when the boat or van gets to car weight or worse. Lots will be illegal due to ball weight as well.

seasmi

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS Sportwagon
Towed easy cause the car is still a fair bit heavier than the trailer, trouble starts when the boat or van gets to car weight or worse. Lots will be illegal due to ball weight as well.

As I said earlier, it tows our Jayco tandem rated at 2070kg easily. No problems stopping, going or controlling in over 40,000 ks twice around Australia and about to leave again early next year. Only problems you can have is if you drive
like an idiot and that goes for whatever you drive.

Half Way across the Nullabor.
sm7q4g.jpg

Kings Canyon. Northern Territory.
35a9ff6.jpg

Epic Pooh

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE II Calais V V8
Nice Van Seasmi ! Looks very comfy ! Totally agree with your remark about driving style and safe towing.

Out of interest, what kind of range are you getting towing that (fuel economy ?) ? Are you using a WDH, if so, what kind and how's your rear tyre life ?

seasmi

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS Sportwagon
Nice Van Seasmi ! Looks very comfy ! Totally agree with your remark about driving style and safe towing.

Out of interest, what kind of range are you getting towing that (fuel economy ?) ? Are you using a WDH, if so, what kind and how's your rear tyre life ?

Thanks Eric. Both trips so far we have averaged 16.4 l/100k. As you can appreciate each day the wind and conditions can be different. With a tail wind I've seen in the 11's and with head wind in the 20's. My brothers pajero is no better than the commode.
We have a Hayman Reece 250kg WDH
Which has tow ball angle adjustment via a cam as well as height adjustment. The tow ball angle adjustment I've found great to help get both car and caravan level.
Don't get one with only height adjustment!
Tyres have worn evenly as the WDH keeps the ride height level. Before the first trip we started the SS had done 17000k' and when we got back I removed the Bridgies at 43000k's and put new wheels and tyres on I got at the right price. The old ones still have some life.
We travel between 95-100kph and its just ticking over using cruise on the long open bits.

redvxr8clubby

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Clubsport R8 & VE SS
As I said earlier, it tows our Jayco tandem rated at 2070kg easily. No problems stopping, going or controlling in over 40,000 ks twice around Australia and about to leave again early next year. Only problems you can have is if you drive
like an idiot and that goes for whatever you drive.

Half Way across the Nullabor.
sm7q4g.jpg

Kings Canyon. Northern Territory.
35a9ff6.jpg

That's awesome, I have a 19'6" dual axle van that until now I have been towing with a SIDI SV6 auto, in the last few weeks I traded the SV6 for a VE SS (auto). The SV6 was pretty good really, but you do feel it on the hills, I am yet to tow the van with the SS. good to see there is someone out there actually using a Commodore as a tow car, when you pull in to the van parks just about everything is 4WD diesel. My van (not a shower van) is supposed to weigh 1530Kg, but I'm not sure if the roof mounted aircon and awning etc are included in that weight. From your posts I assume you don't have a trans cooler?