Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Towing with car trailer

wrx884

WA's ASR Rep
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Exec/ VT L67 Spac, 5L VP Calais, 77 TC Gemini
Hey guys just wondering if the VT would b ok 2 tow a car trailer with a lil gemini on it? My tow pack is rated at 2100kgs max but it says the verticle load is only 210kgs, i dont know if i have 2 b worried about the vertical load rating do i?

gem would roughly b 900kgs id say and im guessing the car trailer another 200kgs mayb more?

also do i need 2 tie the car down some how even if the cars got the handbrake on and in gear? if so wat r the best ways 2 do these? i dont have any of those ratchet straps on hand.

nemesis_adrasteia

better to reign in hell
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR commodore HSV(without all the gay ****)
Hey guys just wondering if the VT would b ok 2 tow a car trailer with a lil gemini on it? My tow pack is rated at 2100kgs max but it says the verticle load is only 210kgs, i dont know if i have 2 b worried about the vertical load rating do i?

gem would roughly b 900kgs id say and im guessing the car trailer another 200kgs mayb more?

also do i need 2 tie the car down some how even if the cars got the handbrake on and in gear? if so wat r the best ways 2 do these? i dont have any of those ratchet straps on hand.

Yes you ned to tie it down. Vt will tow it no worries remem er to load the car up with the front of the car at the front of the trailer.

kingswood country

Reaction score
Members Ride
hj kingswood
1st off, your going to need the straps, or the chain with the turn buckle in them, that's provably a bit overboard though, although I used ropes last time! rear axle and front lower control arms are the best to tie down.

And yes you'll be fine towing the gem
I towed a vp behind a vs last time, that 210kgs is 10% weight over the draw bar.

Park the gem nose first and slightly forward of centre, imagine seeing 2 blokes sitting on your boot and that's how your car should sit like that with car and trailer loaded.

And take your time, use power button if it's auto and probably shift manually, and fit a trans cooler if you haven't already.

Hope it helps you

wrx884

WA's ASR Rep
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Exec/ VT L67 Spac, 5L VP Calais, 77 TC Gemini
cheers 4 clearing up the verticle weight i was concerned about. i have towed many many times b4 just not towed a car b4 LOL.

would straps come with a trailer wen u hire them? i do have rope might just have 2 use them.

car is auto and was fitted with a transcooler wen the tow pack got put on i presume so should b good there cheers.

kingswood country

Reaction score
Members Ride
hj kingswood
You won't get straps with the trailer, if your not worried about the gem like I wasn't with the vp, rope through the front windows worked a treat.

I didn't have a problem, and it had no handbrake or gearbox to be left in gear. You should be fine if your handy with ropes, as long as they're heavy, not that cheap nylon crap they sell these days.