Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

TPS problem help please

OzNath

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Commodore Manual
So i have a VT V6 manual and my revs would randomly jump inbetween 1800 and 3000 rpms by itself and stick. So i got a new tps and attempted to install it, and one of the tps screws went flying as i un screwed it and now i just installed the new tps using 1 screw instead of 2 and the car idles at 1500 rpm, is that because i got 1 screw in instead of 2, it never idled at 1500 with the old one around 750 rpm. So should i buy another screw or can i adjust the idle some how cheers?

Nut Kracker

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT SS 304ci (195i)
Not having the other screw in place could be causing the TPS not to seat properly in the T/B, therefore causing an unmetered amount of air to leak in.
This can increase the idle as more air is getting in than required.
Sort of what a vacuum leak will do.

When you get another screw, take the other one with you, to make sure you get exactly the same type.

Tasmaniak

Not a valid input....
Reaction score
Website
www.ranjinstallations.com.au
Members Ride
VR Stato, C180 Kompressor, Prado and Ka
TPS may need cleaning, TPS is almost definetly sucking in unmetered air and some commodore required TPS to be reset after replacement. This involves first replacing the TPS, disconnect the battery, reconnect the battery, start car and bring RPM to about 2,000 RPM for a good solid 10 secs. Then cycle the ignition again. But this is absolutely pointless first and foremost until you get that screw back in there.

Someone else may comment but I think after a certain model commodore (I think VX) the TPS resets itself on every shutdown. If it does it on VT then the above procedure is null and void and you just need to plug up that hole!

Nut Kracker

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT SS 304ci (195i)
Yeah. I read that procedure in the manual.
I've had my TPS unplugged quite a few times, never followed that procedure and the idle has always been ok.

OzNath

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Commodore Manual
Cheers for the reply i will get another screw and see if that fixes the problem

Nut Kracker

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT SS 304ci (195i)
Also make sure the seal is in place.
I'm pretty sure it would have one, like the IAC does. I've never actually taken mine out.

OzNath

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Commodore Manual
Well i went to the local wreckers and they wouldn't even sell me a tps without buying a throttle body aswell so im stuck with my throttle sticking on 2000 rpm, bunch a wankers at the wreckers

Tasmaniak

Not a valid input....
Reaction score
Website
www.ranjinstallations.com.au
Members Ride
VR Stato, C180 Kompressor, Prado and Ka
Take your one remaining screw down to a bolt and fastener shop and pay 25 cents for a screw. Stop at holden on your way home and grab the gasket for $5 and issue resolved.

Pollushon

Boost gives me a bar....
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS
Since the Emo neither the TPS or IAC requires a reset.

Personally I'd go a new, genuine TPS, they're very important little potentiometers.

There's no seal on the TPS, runs off the butterfly rod end, just an annoying little black sleeve that's easy to lose.

OzNath

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Commodore Manual
Cheers for helping everyone, i went outside were i lost the screw and found it an hour later and all is good though it stuck once randomly. But seems 2 screws done the trick and i didn't have a gasket behind the original, still working fine with no gasket. Next on the list, new coolent temp sensor as my fans stay on and the temp gauge goes -68 sometimes but once it goes retarted the fans stay on as a safety measure i think, so i just unplugged the sensor so the fans stay on won't jump above 91 degrees, thats a good thing in this heat =) car feels like its got heaps more power spinning 2nd and chirpin 3rds =)