Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

traction control & rear brake wear

wablacksv8

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZSV8M6
QuIcKsV6 said:
A mate of mine was saying TC wears your rear brakes very quickly, was just wondering if anyone has had expeirience with this or whats your opinion. Obviously i know that the more it activates the more its going wear, but every day when i go up my driveway my traction control is on the whole way to get me up there and i notice that my rear brakes are starting to squeak a little bit when reversing. Anyway, just somethin to think about.

SV6 has stability control too, this definitely uses the brakes(rear) to control traction loss amounst other things. Traction control backs the engine torque off until traction is regained, thats why your throttle goes flat.

gslrallysport

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ AWD One Tonner
wablacksv8 said:
Traction control backs the engine torque off until traction is regained, thats why your throttle goes flat.

You sure? Not in the AWD's....

wablacksv8

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZSV8M6
gslrallysport said:
You sure? Not in the AWD's....

What do you mean AWD the SV6 is not all wheel drive the Adventurer maybe uses something else not sure but this thread was about an SV6 unless I'm mistaken.

gslrallysport

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ AWD One Tonner
I'm mistaken
Would appear so to me!

Find me ANYWHERE in this thread where it makes ANY mention whatsoever of an SV6...

For all i recall its about traction control and brake wear... and NO Alloytec V6 uses tourque reduction as part of its traction control...

wablacksv8

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZSV8M6
gslrallysport said:
Would appear so to me!

Find me ANYWHERE in this thread where it makes ANY mention whatsoever of an SV6...

For all i recall its about traction control and brake wear... and NO Alloytec V6 uses tourque reduction as part of its traction control...

The thread starter is named Quicksv6(VZ) so I assume he is talking about his own car

Just to confirm Traction control on VZ takes out timing to reduce power until traction is achieved. SV6 also has stability control(VZ V8's do not get this) which uses the 4 channel braking system to apply brakes to maintain vehicle control. Stabilty control does cause excessive brake wear especially on rear if driver over cooks corners continually. Turn it all off and then have fun!

naf33n

go
Reaction score
Members Ride
Supercharged VU SS
SV6 also has stability control

doesnt esp have a seperate switch like in the vz calais. my sv6 or anyone ive seen has ever had a esp switch only traction control

wablacksv8

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZSV8M6
naf33n said:
doesnt esp have a seperate switch like in the vz calais. my sv6 or anyone ive seen has ever had a esp switch only traction control
Not sure about SV6 but VE has single switch but can toggle thru esp & trac. I would think when trac off on SV6 it disables esp as well.

Evman

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS M6
NO Alloytec V6 uses tourque reduction as part of its traction control...

Ah..yeah, they do actually, all the traction control systems back off the throttle/fuel/timing (and thus torque) to help reduce wheelspin. Are you thinking of the torque reduction where if the ECU thinks you're gonna drag it decreses engine power/torque? As far as I know that too is on both V6 and V8 models.

davidlock

Reaction score
Members Ride
VL Calais
I think tc reduced power but i sure i read in a vx owners manual that the v6 cars with tc use braking while the cars are warming up

wablacksv8

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZSV8M6
I think tc reduced power but i sure i read in a vx owners manual that the v6 cars with tc use braking while the cars are warming up
Pre VZ(alloytech)ie the Ecotech use braking to manage traction and I think the throttle relaxer as well but on the VZ V6&8(electronic throttle) this is definately done by as Evman says by ECU with timing etc