Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Traction Control

azteche

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Commodore Exec
"Hey" I've recently purchased a 2nd Hand VY commodore.
I'm wondering if Traction Control comes standard with this model
(2003 Executive)

Also, What does Traction control actually do?
Can anyone give me a basic descrption of what it does, and how it works,
and also if I may have it.

Thanks =D
A!

maxy0987

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Exec S2
look under the hodd, u should see a silver box type thingo to the left i think, thats the TCS.
Not sure if it comes standard, my exec S2 has it fitted but no switch to turn it on and off like some of the other cars.

Traction control from my understanding knows when the wheels start to slip and reduces power to the wheels so they can pick up again.

Tried it when i got my new car, foot down on dry blacktop and no wheel spin, on wet roads there is a little but it picks itself up pretty quick.
You can still break traction around corners pretty easy (as my dad found out getting onto the freeway onramp and pushing the foot downa little too hard)

In the end it makes for a safer and more sensible drive but you can still have fun if you take corners too fast. Just saves ur tyres a lot on takeoffs

EDIT:
Traction control deals specifically with lateral (front-to-back) loss of friction during acceleration. In other words, when your car accelerates from a dead stop, or speeds up while passing another vehicle, traction control works to ensure maximum contact between the road surface and your tires, even under less-than-ideal road conditions. For example, a wet or icy road surface will significantly reduce the friction (traction) between your tires and the pavement. And since your tires are the only part of your car that actually touches the ground, any resulting loss of friction can have serious consequences.

http://www.edmunds.com/ownership/safety/articles/46352/article.html

OLS108

MR Helpful
Reaction score
Members Ride
Stockish VX Berlina
Its stock on all VY's except Utes and Ex police cars ! :thumbsup:

Cameron

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY 11 'Redhot' Ute
fun for me cos i bought a vy ute a couple of weeks ago!

azteche

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Commodore Exec
OLS108 said:
Its stock on all VY's except Utes and Ex police cars ! :thumbsup:

Thanks for that.

Can you have a switch fitted to turn it off?

A!

mitch_anderson

Reaction score
Members Ride
VYII Wagon
yea how do u turn it off on a base model commo wagon...and what would happen if i just unplug it?

Aryashahin

Reaction score
Members Ride
Holden Calais supercharged V6
Take My Advise ..dont Do It... Insurance Purposes

OLS108

MR Helpful
Reaction score
Members Ride
Stockish VX Berlina
Aryashahin said:
Take My Advise ..dont Do It... Insurance Purposes
Good advice , ive had mates that have Tried to disconect it and had Airbag lights stay on and stuff, my VX has a little button on the left side of the Gear Shifter, i am pretty sure its the same on the VY !

mitch_anderson

Reaction score
Members Ride
VYII Wagon
not on a base model vy :mad:
would the wireing be under the centre console to add the button?
also the tc is connected in with the abs rite? if i pull the fuse that would technically disable it rite? obvioulsy i would put the fuse back in if i were to drive anywhere...its just that i cant do burnouts!!!!
Also can u tell me how to pull it apart..i'm a ford boy...and its strange trying to pull a commodore apart cause i feel like i'm going to brake it...

maxy0987

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Exec S2
Um well i think the wiring is under the console, if you pull that little rubber section out between the gear selector and your armrest you can see soem connections under there, i dunno if they are active but it wouldnt surprise me if you could just stick a switch in and go for it.

And yes pulling the abs fuse would probably do what you want it to but it also might **** up things like the airbags :p