Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Traction Control...

KBone

Shaunoff
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS
Hi all, I was wondering if anyone knows if the wires for traction control are already run through the car from the factory in a VYSS S1? I have 2 censors on the diff (not sure if they are for T/C or the speedo) and there's a plug under the console with nothing pluged into it (has about 5 wires running into it). It's not for the interior lights cut off cause I already have it. I know you can buy the switch from Holden so I'm hoping that the wires are already there. Any info would be great! Thanks guys.
Shaun. :thumbsup:

WAGON MAN

Gas Sleeper
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX S2 Berlina Wagon with Phreddied bits.
Are you asking if you can fit traction control to your SS?

KBone

Shaunoff
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS
Yeah. I figure if the wires are there, I can just go to Holden and buy a switch. T/C is handy in the rain :)

WAGON MAN

Gas Sleeper
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX S2 Berlina Wagon with Phreddied bits.
Traction control is standard equipment on the SS.

davey g-force

I'm a sceptic...
Reaction score
Members Ride
02 RX7 S8 Spirit R 13B TT & 2013 Audi A3 1.8T DSG7
Traction control is standard equipment on the SS.

This is true. My VY SS S1 has it.

Assuming you don't have it, why do you want it anyway? VY traction control is a pain in the ass. It temporarily totally cuts out the engine which can be embarassing and downright dangerous, say if you're in the middle of an intersection. And the pedal kicks back so hard, you almost knee yourself in the face! (Ok, that's a slight exaggeration ;) ) I always turn mine OFF.

The T/C in the VZ on the other hand is far more refined...

VicCop

Reaction score
Members Ride
2011 Commodore SV6 SII
How good is traction control in other conditions? I know that it stops your wheels from spinning from a standing start if they slip but what about around corners, does that ESP or whatever it's called really do the trick at stopping you from sliding off the road? Has anyone actually tried it?

Our traffic coppers turn it off when using the mobile radar (speed measuring head on) because if they get a decent speed reading they quickly have to whip the car around, 180 degrees. I'm guessing traction control would prevent this manouvre.

We should have ALL out police vehicles optioned with it. There's been that many times where someone will get a little over enthusiastic going flat out to a hot job we'll end up sideways for a sec, especially in the wet. Instead the department went for the rear park assist option.

Boonz

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
green 355 VG ute
well if you dont work on saturdays then you should pop down to holden dealer and go for a test drive with the salesman....i for one can tell you that it works.

ris00

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Series 2 SS
as mentioned by davey g force and the pedel being kicked back it is quite hard and annoying when you need to plant it around a corner, although it could be better than having a power pole into the side of the car.
Also i notice that without my traction control on the car takes off alot better (without spinning the wheels mind you) and just drives alot smoother.

davey g-force

I'm a sceptic...
Reaction score
Members Ride
02 RX7 S8 Spirit R 13B TT & 2013 Audi A3 1.8T DSG7
How good is traction control in other conditions? I know that it stops your wheels from spinning from a standing start if they slip but what about around corners, does that ESP or whatever it's called really do the trick at stopping you from sliding off the road? Has anyone actually tried it?

Our traffic coppers turn it off when using the mobile radar (speed measuring head on) because if they get a decent speed reading they quickly have to whip the car around, 180 degrees. I'm guessing traction control would prevent this manouvre.

We should have ALL out police vehicles optioned with it. There's been that many times where someone will get a little over enthusiastic going flat out to a hot job we'll end up sideways for a sec, especially in the wet. Instead the department went for the rear park assist option.

It does stop your wheels from spinning from a standing start. The problem is, it momentarily cuts off all engine power, rather than just enough to stop the wheels from spinning.

I'd say it would definitely help you to not slide off the road and would prevent those scary little moments when you get "over enthusiastic". I guess I'm just saying the way that it operates could be a LOT better.

I'm not too sure what you're getting at with the ESP. That's only fitted in VE Commodores, so I can't comment.

Bravotwozero

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12 AMG C63 W204 Speedshift + 2013 KW T909
It does stop your wheels from spinning from a standing start. The problem is, it momentarily cuts off all engine power, rather than just enough to stop the wheels from spinning.

I'd say it would definitely help you to not slide off the road and would prevent those scary little moments when you get "over enthusiastic". I guess I'm just saying the way that it operates could be a LOT better.

I'm not too sure what you're getting at with the ESP. That's only fitted in VE Commodores, so I can't comment.

VZ Calais has ESP. Not sure if any other models have it.