Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Trading up from VS to WK

Sphinx

O.G.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Calais II LS1
Ok, so I've gone and done it.. finally trading up from my good old 5 litre VS Stato to a '03 WK Stato. Now, I've read all the road tests on both the 152KW ECOTEC and the 235KW GEN3 and want to know what kind of 'real world' economy I can expect. So can anyone with a VY that has those engine options tell me what kind of economy they're getting. The '03 V8 Stato only has like 37 thousand k's on it so I'd be after that one. Any info would be helpful.

Demons1964

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Calais, WHII Statesman V8, VC L 202
I only miss WK by 1 year (and the weight and engine specs are nearly identical to WHII) and I also own a VSII Stato so I'll give you some comparitive real world info. I do a mix of country/city driving averaging 52km/hr. I've had the unmodified 225kW WHII V8 Stato for 1 year and my fuel economy is 12.0L/100km. I travelled in exactly the same manner (same places at the same time etc) in the unmodified VSII V8 Stato and the average was 13.1L/100km. So it works out to be roughly 10% more fuel efficient in the 2002 Stato.

The important point to remember is that I pretty much am driving like a granny. The only time the foot goes down is accelerating on the on-ramp to the freeway. But because the LS1 is such a free-revving engine it's extremely tempting to have a lead foot most of the time. Maybe someone else who drives their car hard can do another comparison. But I have been driving both cars in exactly the same manner over the same route, so it should be helpful to you.

I've never owned a V6 so I can't comment on that.

Hope this helps.

Mark.

bruzza

Reaction score
Members Ride
WH Statesman 5.7
well i dont mind driving mine a little harder and i get around 12.9 l/100km with about 60% of the tank being highway, if i do more city then i get to about 13.2's but i tell ya its much more economical then my old vr 5lrt stato

Chilli_Red

Reaction score
Members Ride
2000 VX XU6
from what ive read the v6 is really strained hauling the extra weight, which in the long run isnt to good for the motor, i have no real world info on the matter but from all the things ive read ild have to go with the v8 option

Sphinx

O.G.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Calais II LS1
thanx for the info. V8 it is!