Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Traffic advice on forum

STEALTHY™

So Wet For You!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Calais International, FPV, Audi
That's fair enough, but my car is left unattended in shopping centre car parks every day. Telling people on this forum that I live in a certain suburb isn't likely to increase its likelihood of being pinched. Just admitting that you live in SA, NSW, or whatever, cahurt, surely? Each State's a mighty big place to start looking for a car if you really want to steal it.

Not SA. A day doesn't go by where i don't spot a members ride from here.

STEALTHY™

So Wet For You!
Reaction score
Members Ride
Yes, that is an excellent example. That's one where a very young person has gone to the wrong source for his/her info, and has not given any indication of which state he/she lives in for others to assist.

Which, had minuxes thread been updated with road rule links aswell, we could have just linked that sticky, and stopped all the lawyers and cops from posting :)

vlv8vic

<---Brad Quaid = internet stalker
Reaction score
Members Ride
M5
VlV8vic - I'm not sure about your suggestion and I have better things to do with my time. .

like complain about it. Just do something about it instead. You could have written and submitted a proposal for a national regulation by now in the time you spend complaining on this site.

With all due respect, you are a valuable member, but you complain more than i do.....

Calaber

Nil Bastardo Carborundum
Reaction score
Members Ride
CG Captiva 5 Series 2
like complain about it. Just do something about it instead. You could have written and submitted a proposal for a national regulation by now in the time you spend complaining on this site.

With all due respect, you are a valuable member, but you complain more than i do.....[/QUOTE]

I do? Issues I have raised that might be construed as complaints relate to my experiences with other people from day to day. Perhaps I consider them to be worthy of bringing to this forum for general interest and discussion, where you might let your experiences go through to the keeper.

I'm sorry but I really thought my post this afternoon offered useful advice for us all to remember. It wasn't intended to become a saga and it certainly wasn't intended to lead down this road. To take your comment about "doing something about it instead", I believe I did that by posting the original post and I did receive some support from other "valuable members".

Keepleft

Mot Adv-NSW
Reaction score
When someone posts a thread regarding traffic infringements, they often get back many responses from other members offering "advice".

In theory, Australia has a "Uniform Traffic Code", introduced some years ago to ensure uniformity of traffic laws between all the States.
1. Australia is in reality a nation of 'sovereign states'; with territories. (I am not one give additional power to Canberra).

2. The Australian road rules are not adopted in total by all states, as some states maintain 'similar' regulations that for all intents and purpose, may or may not be 'the same' as an ARR. Example; ARR 217 (front and rear fogs) is not used in NSW, because we maintain our own regulation on the matter. Some jurisdictions do NOT accept the ARR default speed limits, NT is an example.

Australia IS a contracting party to the United Nations Convention on Road Traffic, SO our BASIC "rules of the road" ARE THE SAME; keep left, keep left multi-lane; indicator use, line markings and obeyance etc and so on. Means our basic rules of the road are the SAME as most places on earth.

NSW has mountains of additional_to_ARR regulations and Acts of parliament that directly impact our driving lives. Sometimes other legislation OUTSIDE "cars and roads" also impacts on how we drive, and can determine legal outcome in court. A very simple obvious example is EPA legislation.

3. Traffic penalties (fine amounts, jail) and demerits are and will remain state issues.

4. By in large, "the graduated licensing systems" are harmonising, but differences remain as to license categories and conditions of license, and how they are set out; one jurisdiction might have two L plate levels, the others a single L period, etc and so on.

However, if there is one area where the States cannot agree, it's traffic penalties and procedures for dealing with appeals, license suspension and cancellations. To put it simply, no two States seem to do the same thing and the way certain matters are handled can be totally different.
Yep. I can signal NSW will *not* enter into 'arrangements' with Canberra or other jurisdictions as to what we charge for penalties and outcome. Sometimes an offence carried in one state CAN reflect on a NSW license, say in points IF we in turn also apply a penalty for the offence.

Many of the posts offered as "advice" are misplaced, simply because the poster lives in a different State to the OP. I often see advice given which is completely wrong and misleading, but if offered in such a way as to suggest that "it is right because it happened to me" (or a mate).
Quite right. That sooo many post 'blindly', is more ignorance of the reality - of just what Australia 'is'.

Your cautious warning is appropriate, OP's should mention the state in question, but many are young and don't understand any of that, such things are not taught, I presume, in Skoolz.

Another respondent warns of the danger of accepting forum-based legal advice, also appropriate. People should only accept advice as a guideline. For serious matters, see a solicitor in your state.

OP's should mention the jurisdiction they question, saves others asking 'what state or territory'?

Good post OP.

I was thinking just the other day of raising the NSW Light Horse Regiment again, I'd use it to invade The Peoples Republic of Victoria:)

Last edited:

STEALTHY™

So Wet For You!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VLV8s suggestion was better. Send the people to the right place for the info. Just because a person is from that state, it doesn't mean they have any ****in clue what their on about :)

Calaber

Nil Bastardo Carborundum
Reaction score
Members Ride
CG Captiva 5 Series 2
VLV8s suggestion was better. Send the people to the right place for the info. Just because a person is from that state, it doesn't mean they have any ****in clue what their on about :)

Fine, but I'm not prepared to go to the trouble of doing that. I've made my views quite clear. If someone really wants to go to that trouble, please be my guest.

MikesCalais

Trust me, I'm a Doctor
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Calais V International
dont people usually say...

"advice advice advice advice advice.... but thats in [state], not sure if its the same in [other state]"

?

And I would have thought this forum would be an appropriate place to ask for other peoples experiences in regards to such things.... Not everyone has the time to go and find out the info theyre looking for from the appropriate sources, and usually theyre just asking for other people experiences/opinions on what to do (if it isnt a whinge thread) then, its up to that person to take that advice or not

STEALTHY™

So Wet For You!
Reaction score
Members Ride
dont people usually say...

"advice advice advice advice advice.... but thats in [state], not sure if its the same in [other state]"

?

And I would have thought this forum would be an appropriate place to ask for other peoples experiences in regards to such things.... Not everyone has the time to go and find out the info theyre looking for from the appropriate sources, and usually theyre just asking for other people experiences/opinions on what to do (if it isnt a whinge thread) then, its up to that person to take that advice or not

Surely it wouldn't take more than 5 minutes to look on the government site and find the links? Sometimes threads don't even get a reply in the first day here.