Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

trans ecu???

taxii88

Reaction score
Members Ride
black ova silver 5lt vn calais (defed) vk calais
Hay guys bit of a noob question but does a rb30 trans run off an ecu.. im sure it does but not 100% sure...

taxii88

Reaction score
Members Ride
black ova silver 5lt vn calais (defed) vk calais
Anyone.. I need to know if I need to find a trans ecu

Darcon666

Evil is always around you
Reaction score
Website
www.gfy.com
Members Ride
Your Mother
Hey noob... some more info from you can help:-

1). Like Manual or Auto?
2). Model/Make/Year of car... or at least... where the box came from?

3). You only posted this 2hrs ago, so give it time.

Having said the above...Lets say it's VL commodorre, say 1987, Auto... That came with a Trimatic, either 3speed or 4speed(Solenoid overdrive)... now here is where I am not sure but I believe the Transmission runs off BOTH the cars ECU and a Trans ECU.

Locations

Car ECU = Behind the passenger side kick panel I beleive
IMGP7213.jpg

Trans ECU = Under the dash Drivers side.
IMGP7220.jpg

DjHardStylZz

Reaction score
Members Ride
VL Calais Turbo, VY Senator s2 , Vx exec
yes runs off an ecu as listed above, i have a few sitting here if needed one, also pretty sure turbo and na ones are different

l.k.

Reaction score
Members Ride
ve sidi sv6 2010 1988 vl vacationer
yes runs off an ecu as listed above, i have a few sitting here if needed one, also pretty sure turbo and na ones are different

fancy that. ive owned vl's for 13 years and never knew they had an ecu for the transmission. my present one has an issue ive put down to the overdrive LOCK UP solenoid. goes into overdrive ok and operates fairly normally other than when it goes into "4th" and the revs drop, it doesnt, a moment later drop a fraction more as it used to. plus the moment you put any acceleration on the revs go up with no real performance boost as you may expect from, say, an old 2 or 3 speed auto before they started installing lockup devices. am i right in pointing the finger at the solenoid ?

detox_nath83

Another VL Driver
Reaction score
Members Ride
VL Turbo Commo
Could be the lockup solenoid or the trans ecu which controls the lockup. If the trans ecu is unplugged it won't go into overdrive lockup. If the overdrive solenoid is failing or unplugged it doesn't go into overdrive either.. Go figure. Lol
If the trans ecu is unplugged the gearbox still works fine as its hydraulic operated. U just loose overdrive

l.k.

Reaction score
Members Ride
ve sidi sv6 2010 1988 vl vacationer
fancy that. ive owned vl's for 13 years and never knew they had an ecu for the transmission. my present one has an issue ive put down to the overdrive LOCK UP solenoid. goes into overdrive ok and operates fairly normally other than when it goes into "4th" and the revs drop, it doesnt, a moment later drop a fraction more as it used to. plus the moment you put any acceleration on the revs go up with no real performance boost as you may expect from, say, an old 2 or 3 speed auto before they started installing lockup devices. am i right in pointing the finger at the solenoid ?

thanks, i take it that means either ecu or solenoid can cause overdrive to not go into lockup ,but wont stop box operating in overdrive. but can both units stop box going into overdrive altogether? (not that i have that particular problem, just checking for future reference>