Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

trans fluid colour.

dylanfh

Reaction score
Members Ride
91 VP 5.0 V8
whats everyones opinion on the colour of this fluid?.going by the clour you think the trans is on its way out or could it just do with a service?.dont know if the pic is clear enough but the colour is like clean/new engine oil.

Attachments

• fluid1.jpg
    fluid1.jpg
    22.5 KB · Views: 222

bradcad

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Berlina & mazda 2 DE
Ohh man she is due for a-changin. Tranny is probably ok- I have seen worse. The biggest telltale is if the oil smells 'burned', and when you drop the pan if there are solid particles in the bottom

dylanfh

Reaction score
Members Ride
91 VP 5.0 V8
thanks,fluid doesnt smell to bad compared to new stuff,maybe a little "burnt" if anything,also could this be a possible reason why im getting a 24 error code?.if its starting to slip a little?.what you think the chances are of saving the box with a service,might be a long shot asking but doesnt matter.

bradcad

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Berlina & mazda 2 DE
I believe chances are fairly good, change ALL the oil- take the line out (to the radiator tank) off and pump it out, if you can afford the fluid do it twice. Ensure the filter is changed. should greatly improve.

dylanfh

Reaction score
Members Ride
91 VP 5.0 V8
ok cool,how many litres should the whole system be?.

bradcad

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Berlina & mazda 2 DE
Service capacity is listed at 4.8 litres, I would be pretty sure though that the whole system would hold something like 10 litres (anyone?) I usually buy a 20 litre pail for a big service.

ragrim

Reaction score
Members Ride
2012 VE SV6
if i rememeber correctly dry service is like 7.9ish litres, i was reading my book about it last night.... or was that engine oil i was reading... hmm lol

Chirpstr

A new project attack
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Berlina M5, VP M5
She'll be right mate. Whack some red food dye in there. lol
Nar drop the pan drain the fluid out of it, change gasket and filter while your there. If you panicing about it take for a 30km drive then drop the pan again but keep the filter and gasket.
Or alternatively you could just disconnect it from the radiator but this will never get all the fluid out of the torq converter...neither will dropping the pan, trust me I tried it. Make sure when the fluid starts to slow down switch it off cause it can hurt the pump. Then top it up and do it again. But you can be there for hours filling it up and draining it from radiator and waste allot of money, time and energy waiting for the nice red colour to come through. You'll just have to be happy with it at some stage.
All the best mate.

accentstencil

Reaction score
Members Ride
WH II Caprice, 5.7 2018 Equinox LTZ V
if i rememeber correctly dry service is like 7.9ish litres, i was reading my book about it last night.... or was that engine oil i was reading... hmm lol
7.9lt dry fill is correct.