Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Trans Fluid Leak from my vn series one engine.

top line

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Sedan V6 3.800
Hi all, I'm picking up from a post I did back in 2017 about my trans leaking fluid. I've got a problem that has shown up in the last couple of days where I've got trans fluid running underneath the rear seal of the gear box area then, dripping down the rear engine mount and its getting worse.

I've also noticed that there is trans fluid dripping down on the exhaust y section possibly from the steering rake. I'm pretty sure it's not power steering fluid as I've been down this road before and have replaced the power steering pump so it's not coming from there.
Any ideas?

rambunctious

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Executive Wagon
Degrease the area, drive for one hour, then have a look at where the oil is coming from.
If it is coming from the rear seal, then replace the seal, and maybe the rear bush as well if the shaft into the box has movement.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Are you saying it is leaking from the ext housing. It is reasonably common place to leak. If the bush is worn in the ext housing then you need to remove the housing to renew the bush. If you have slop in the bush it is fairly easy to feel by moving the shaft up and down.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
If it is leaking at the T Converter seal its trans out.

top line

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Sedan V6 3.800
Not sure I will have a better look this weekend. I've contacted a trans place as the trans is getting on, as in its done a few kms now. They have said that there standard service is $160 and they would take it for a drive to see whats wrong. I've asked what their price is for a full rebuild if need be and fitted they said until they have a look at it they, usually charge $2500 for the rebuild and fitted. Don't really want to go this way when it could just be a seal but the trans does jerk into gear when shifting from 1st to 2nd at 20kms etc.
I live in the Toowoomba qld area so I might be able to get a better deal.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Best to have it checked and grab a second hand box rather than rebuild. SH box would be no more than 300 bucks. If you are talking 400k on the trans the ext housing bush is probably fairly worn and by the time you replace that you might be up around 400 by the time its serviced.

top line

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Sedan V6 3.800
Yeah I agree, with you losh1971, I will take the car in next week when I've got time to get them to have a look at it and a service. She will have to sit in the shed on stands until then. I've been having trouble with my high beams which are not working, so I can spend time on that until I take the car in. Until then I will continue to post as things unfold, cheers all.

top line

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Sedan V6 3.800
Hi all I've took the vn in for trans services they did not say what condition the trans was in but they replaced the seals and checked my kick down cable, changed the fluid filter etc. Total cost was $320. the trans seems to be running better but its not leaking so far.