Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Trans leak

Rikls2

Reaction score
Members Ride
ss commodore
Hi guys i think ive got a trans leak from bottom of radiator somewhere trans fluid is very low an their is oil all along the bottom drippin underneath the radiator is it possible to run a after market cooler an just take the lines off the radiator or do i need a new radiator not to sure what do do any ideas would be awesome thanks

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
You need to run the oil through the trans. The oils needs heating and cooling. Plus you would need a trans cooler the size of an AC condenser to lose the one on the rad.

Rikls2

Reaction score
Members Ride
ss commodore
So better just get a new radiator rather than try run external cooler is it common for them to leak under their

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Best to have an external cooler and the rad one. If it's dripping down the rad it's probably leaking at the join.

Rikls2

Reaction score
Members Ride
ss commodore
At the join ? The hoses that connect to radiator dont seem to be leaking does the air con have fluid that could be leaking the air con radiator is covered in oil ?

Rikls2

Reaction score
Members Ride
ss commodore
I did have bad power steering leak from those pipes that run around the front i just asumed thats what was on the air con radiator but since i have fixed that still have that leak somewhere in their

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
If you an AC leak you can get oil from where it leaks. But your AC won't work if you have a leak. Do you have power steering cooler? They are known to leak.

Rikls2

Reaction score
Members Ride
ss commodore
Air con doesnt work either haha ...power steering only has that loop around pipe at the front wich i replaced it was rusted ...i cheched trans level today was low an seemed to be same colour as the oil im finding on the bottom bar underneath radiator...what colour would the air con oil be ?

DavesSV6Tonner

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ S V6 Cab & Chassis
There isn't enough oil in the air con refrigerant to show up as oil dripping off the radiator.
You might find you have a leak on the power steering cooler pipe in front of the A/C condensor or at the connections of the transmission fluid pipes to the radiator, as already suggested.
If it is reddish brown oily fluid it has to be either from the power steering or the auto transmission.