Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Transitioning from a Commodore to an EV

HSV126

Reaction score
Members Ride
Briggs & Stratton
I'm curious about the sales process, I'd just left the game when they started discussing 'The Agency' or 'Apple' model whereby manufacturers set a cost and you more or less buy it at said cost whether it be online or in person.

I know you mentioned the pain of going to the dealer, but haggling a deal for dead stock is what keeps pricing competitive. My concern being that the experience of owning a car is now shifting to the same experience as owning a phone.

chrisp

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 MY16 SS Redline Sportwagon
My concern being that the experience of owning a car is now shifting to the same experience as owning a phone.

I think that sentence pretty much sums up the general view of the younger generations - cars are just another appliance, and newer-the-better.

There was a generation where cars were considered a bit of a luxury and not everyone had one or could afford one. Many houses did have any provision for cars or parking (think inner city suburban housing with no driveways). When cars did start to become more commonplace, the garage doors were often painted in brightly coloured pattern as to say ‘look at me, I have a car’. This generation, and perhaps the following generation, found cars to be their ‘key to freedom’ - they could travel almost anywhere and at anytime. I suspect that sense of freedom (that often came at great financial cost) had a big impact and they treasured their cars.

Now car ownership is pretty universal and pretty much as common as any other household appliance, so it has now just turned in to an expectation rather than a desire.

Apple has always kept a very tight reign over the retail pricing and it seems to have served them very well. Maybe the new generation car manufacturers are simply adopting the same strategy as their products are essentially aimed at the same demographic?

07GTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VEGTS BUILT BLOWN E85
ICE vehicles have been catching fire for the last 100+ years so its nothing new, an EV which is ment to be saving the planet that when catches fire cant be put out sure is a better headline

Paul Smedley

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY23 Tesla Model 3 RWD, MY23 Tesla Model Y RWD
Got some consumptions stats from the car today.

We're averaging 140 Wh/km. With charging overnight at $0.37/kWh this is: 140/1000 (convert Wh to kWh) x 1.1 (allow for charging losses) x $0.37/kWh = 5.7c/km

ZB at 12.2 L/100km @ $1.80/L = 12.2/100 (convert to L/km) x $1.8 = $0.2196/km

blackvxss

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SS, VE SS ute, VZ SS crewman, VYSS, VX SS, VTSS
I know you mentioned the pain of going to the dealer, but haggling a deal for dead stock is what keeps pricing competitive.

I remember ringing every holden dealer in adelaide and melb looking for VF SS2 Manual in black i enjoyed the battering dealing(window tint etc added for free. Live in adelaide bought from geelong of all places best deal by far

Paul Smedley

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY23 Tesla Model 3 RWD, MY23 Tesla Model Y RWD
I'm curious about the sales process, I'd just left the game when they started discussing 'The Agency' or 'Apple' model whereby manufacturers set a cost and you more or less buy it at said cost whether it be online or in person.

I know you mentioned the pain of going to the dealer, but haggling a deal for dead stock is what keeps pricing competitive. My concern being that the experience of owning a car is now shifting to the same experience as owning a phone.
There is no 'haggling' on price - but there is a $750 referral credit available (if anyone is looking to purchase, feel free to DM me for my code), and if you keep an eye on inventory - they will sometimes discount stock if they want to move it quicker.

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
actually a lot of people are talking about that problem and they are actively working on solutions.

the best solution to this problem is the change of battery technology and it is being worked on worldwide so in 20 years most evs might not even contain a lithium battery, time will tell.
they are even developing fire suppression techniques like f-500 ea could be used on a large scale system in that basement to automatically suppress the fire or some other new technology.
maybe an onboard suppression system could be developed using f-500 directly into the battery box.

it is honestly no different to any other developing technology, there will be risks and innovations to mitigate those risks, but this whole fear campaign is being funded and driven by the people that stand to lose the most out of this transition.
as much as i think he is a bit of a wanker elon and tesla have pushed the technology into the main stream so people will start working on it because there is a market now to profit from and that will lead to innovation like every other technology.

as for the felicity ace the press sure like to push vague articles that contain a lot of speculation or just leave out parts like the ship running aground causing it to take on water and sink you then have the reports of 4000 evs onboard when there were only about 300 and the speculation that an ev started it but that was not confirmed but it makes a better headline.
no one mentioned that over 60 other vessels were totally lost by fire in the last 5 years or that 800+ vessels were reported as total loss in the last 10 years.
its not even the only vessel carrying vehicles that has caught fire and sunk in the last decade but they didnt make news because an ev was not listed on the cargo manifest
but because 1 ship had 300 evs it made news like it has never happened before and the focal part was ev and not the 3700 ice vehicles or the fact that this type of maritime incident happens a lot more than you think.

Saw a video of a vessel in rough seas transporting vehicles recently, next picture was of same said vessel with the vehicles all burnt out, all ICE vehicles IIRC on an open deck.

MMS is generally driven by some sort of agenda.

blackvxss

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SS, VE SS ute, VZ SS crewman, VYSS, VX SS, VTSS
Got some consumptions stats from the car today.

We're averaging 140 Wh/km. With charging overnight at $0.37/kWh this is: 140/1000 (convert Wh to kWh) x 1.1 (allow for charging losses) x $0.37/kWh = 5.7c/km

ZB at 12.2 L/100km @ $1.80/L = 12.2/100 (convert to L/km) x $1.8 = $0.2196/km
what power plan you on in adelaide?? i was on .37 but moving to .44 in a few weeks. cant seem to find sub 40 anymore grrr

J_D 2.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
2009 VE SSV M6 on LPG and 2022 Kawasaki Z650L
what power plan you on in adelaide?? i was on .37 but moving to .44 in a few weeks. cant seem to find sub 40 anymore grrr
My rates went from .262 to .318 at the beginning of this month. Getting up to .44 is flat out ridiculous.

I worked out a while ago that it would cost you about 80 cents per kilowatt hour to generate electricity from a diesel generator like the one below. You can’t tell me that the grid can’t possibly be only half as efficient as a standalone diesel generator!

Put another way if you can have solar with a battery and one of these diesel generators for emergency backup it’s pretty much cost effective to disconnect from the grid entirely!

As long as more than 50% of your electricity usage comes from the solar/battery combo (so less than 50% from the genny) you’ll beat 44 cents per kWh on average!

https://www.ablesales.com.au/diesel-generators-perth-melbourne-brisbane/diesel-generator/7-kw.html

Reactions: Lex