Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Transmission and power steering coolers

_R_J_K_

Reaction score
Members Ride
Zenki S14
Trans coolers are always a good idea. Power steering, not that it's a bad idea but not really needed and not one so big.

Gavkat09

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vy sv8
Trans coolers are always a good idea. Power steering, not that it's a bad idea but not really needed and not one so big.
Thanks for your reply. Do you think it’s worth getting a kit the pwr one or just get a cheap cooler off eBay

vywgn

Reaction score
Members Ride
1967 Holden HR Premier Wagon / 2015 VFII SV6 Sedan
VE already has a power steering cooler from factory that runs through the bottom of the ac condenser

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
Also, with auto gearbox oil, you want it to get to operating temp fast as cold oil is also not good for the gearbox.

This implies you still run the oil through the bottom of the water radiator before going to a thermostatically controlled bypass valve. That way the oil can be sent to the oil radiator if ‘too hot’ or bypass the oil radiator directly back to the gearbox if below the ‘too hot’ level. That’s how it’s done on the HSV’s and the last of the LE commodores.

MattSAU2XR8

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS Auto 2007
Even though HSVs run tranny oil through the radiator and then the external cooler as per above, I've not heard of a transmission wearing out faster due to the oil taking longer to warm up. And when setting the fluid level, which requires the engine to be running on the hoist with brakes on and car in dear to slip the convertor it doesn't take very long to warm up... Benefit of not running transmission oil through radiator is that it prevents coolant milkshakes.

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
^ It's generally accepted that you shouldn't stress the driveline until everything is up to temp at which point it's safe to extract all the horses. And there have also been a few posts stating it can take 15 to 20 minutes for engine oil to get to temp (and i assume diff oil and the auto fluid take a similar time to get to temp). So extracting all the horses with cold fluids is where the issue lies.

As long as people respect the driveline, then things wont wear out faster, even with cold fluids. But we all know of some people who have little mechanical sympathy and have little patience and let loose too early and jump on the go peddle directly after a cold start. Guess that's why HSV/Holden/GM run the auto through the radiator in all cases since they provide a warranty and it may just give them a little more warranty headroom ;)

I'd guess it's even more important to get up to operating temps as quickly as possible when towing :rolleyes:

In any case, I haven't done the engineering/warranty analysis but GM/HSV/Holden are real penny pinchers. If they could save $1 by not routing auto fluid through the radiator, they would but they do in all cases i've seen.

And cooling system corrosion is a result of poor servicing (or dexcool fluids if the USA class action was anything to go by). As you say, it can result in malt milkshakes which is costly. Happily, it is often a highway to new car sales for the manufactures :eek: But as I maintain my vehicles appropriately, miklshakes aren't much of a concern. So I'd want to do a lot of testing to ensure ditching the plumbing through the radiator would not lead to lengthy periods of cold auto fluid on cold start.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
You need a very large cooler if you want to bypass the rad. Most aftermarket external coolers are not up to the task of providing enough cooling without going through the rad as well. That one in the eBay leak certainly is too small to bypass the rad, if you was considering it.

Gavkat09

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vy sv8
You need a very large cooler if you want to bypass the rad. Most aftermarket external coolers are not up to the task of providing enough cooling without going through the rad as well. That one in the eBay leak certainly is too small to bypass the rad, if you was considering it.
Thank you. Car isn’t going to get flogged or anything just want it for extra protection

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
I’ve got two coolers I want to add onto my VE and VZ, but because of the GM quick fit connections, I’m not sure how to do it. The coolers have barbs and hose is secured with the old style hose clamp.