Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Transmission cooler that bypasses radiator?

HoldenHoon

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Berlina V8
Hey everyone. I’m wanting to hook up a transmission cooler to my VX commodore v6 as I’ve heard that the original way they ran had problems. (Water and transmission oil mixing) so I’m wanting to bypass the radiator and have lines go straight from the transmission to the cooler and right back to the transmission? Would something like this be okay? And is there a kit for this setup? Thanks.

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
I don't think it was a common problem on the Commodores to have the radiator/trans cooler failure. I do believe it was more common on another aussie brand of motor vehicles.

I don't believe there is a kit as such to replace the internal cooler with an external cooler, there are kits that add a external cooler to the existing setup (inline with the internal radiator cooler). No doubt you could stuff around with the lines and eliminate the internal radiator cooler if it pleases you.

HoldenHoon

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Berlina V8
I don't think it was a common problem on the Commodores to have the radiator/trans cooler failure. I do believe it was more common on another aussie brand of motor vehicles.

I don't believe there is a kit as such to replace the internal cooler with an external cooler, there are kits that add a external cooler to the existing setup (inline with the internal radiator cooler). No doubt you could stuff around with the lines and eliminate the internal radiator cooler if it pleases you.
Yeah I was looking online and couldn’t find a kit. Apparently it’s better for it to go through the radiator as it helps it get to temp quicker. I’m just scared that it’s going to mix with water and I’ll have to buy another transmission.

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
It's how all Commodores come from the factory. I mean it's not impossible, but statistically speaking very unlikely.

TBH, I think it's a myth it helps to heat up the trans fluid. If you think about it logically, for the first few minutes of driving the engine is still warming up so the thermostat is closed. Even once that opens it will still take some time for all the coolant in the radiator to warm up. All that time the transmission is working and already heating the fluid by itself. There is a minimum set temp in the tune that locks out the converter lockup function as normal converter operation (a fluid coupling) is a great way to heat the fluid. When I leave home, get on the motorway in a few minutes as there is a on ramp close to my place, get up to speed the converter locks up very quickly, even on cold mornings as the engine is still coming up to full temp.

figjam

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
FJ
I'll name them ......... Falcons and Territorys with the heat exchanger that was bolted to the side of the block.
The transmission oil ran to the heat exchanger, and returned back to the box, similarly with the radiator coolant. The heat exchanger would fail, letting the oil and coolant mix > milkshake > expensive new auto box.
Coolant and transmission oil mixing is usually a result of poor radiator maintenance.
My 4 speed Territory, I deleted the heat exchanger, and the auto lines run to an external cooler between the grille and the radiator.
Never had any problems with slow or clunky shifts when cold.
As it is basically a set of extended lines and a cooler, I am sure that you could get some something fitted up, if you really want to go that way.