Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Transmission lines

Sam_100

Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII SV6
Hi Guys,

I was looking around the engine bay this morning and I noticed the following in the picture on the left hand side of the engine where the alternator is. It looks like the transmission fluid lines and the bracket. Should the bracket be attached to the bolt with a nut? I don't have another SV6 to use as a reference. If anyone can take a shot of the same spot on there SV6 and post it that would be great.

[Edit] I have tried to slide the bracket onto the bolt but it does not align (need to twist it) hence the question whether it does go on there. I don't want to twist it and put the lines under unnecessary tension.

IMG_3409.JPG

Last edited:

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
Appears to need a nut on the bolt to hold the bracket in place...

Any hardware place should have the correct nut to fit the bolt

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
yeah, I’d by 99.9% confident in saying that the bolt has loosened and fallen off allowing the bracket and pipes to move away from their mounting place.

pabxman

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SV6 Storm
Here you go

1.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: Lex

Big Red VF-SII Go-kart

I love puddles.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII MY17 SV6 (LFX) Sportwagon (SOLD)

I observed the same set up while cleaning the business works this morning.
@Sam_100 Get friction lock nuts to put a stop to this. It will be more tedious to get the nut off if and when it is required, but it certainly will not come adrift.

shane_3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr commo
I observed the same set up while cleaning the business works this morning.
@Sam_100 Get friction lock nuts to put a stop to this. It will be more tedious to get the nut off if and when it is required, but it certainly will not come adrift.

The nut in the photo above is a locking nut. See the three (well you can't see all three) peen marks or indentations? They're where the nut locks.

Big Red VF-SII Go-kart

I love puddles.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII MY17 SV6 (LFX) Sportwagon (SOLD)
The bracket is the not the same in the second photo, which looks more of a folded/accordian-style bracket as opposed to the heavy metal job in the objective photo. In any case, I would be interested to know how a friction nut can work itself away; those things are virtually set and forget, and require more effort to get off and again, to get on. Was it a techie who did not replace the nut, or what??

RossK

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE11 SV6, VF LPG Evoke
I would be interested to know how a friction nut can work itself away; those things are virtually set and forget, and require more effort to get off and again, to get on. Was it a techie who did not replace the nut, or what??

Someones done work on it and forgotten to put it back.
Mine came back from the dealer with a similar "modification"

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
The bracket is the not the same in the second photo, which looks more of a folded/accordian-style bracket as opposed to the heavy metal job in the objective photo. In any case, I would be interested to know how a friction nut can work itself away; those things are virtually set and forget, and require more effort to get off and again, to get on. Was it a techie who did not replace the nut, or what??
The OP’s photo is a little blurred so it looks like a thicker bit of steel but could just as easily be thin piece folded over like the second photo.

Why the nut was not on the bolt? Who knows, it could have not been staked at the factory and worked loose, taken off for some service task and not reinstalled or it was never installed at the factory to start with :eek:

Whatever the truth, if Holden were the only ones fiddling with the car, it isn’t a good indictment of their quality control o_O

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
It appears like it had a nut on it at some point in time, judging my the thread on the end of the bolt......Why it has come off is subject to much debate.....