Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Transmission Question

ElDubya

Mad As A Meataxe
Reaction score
Members Ride
2011 VE Commodore V6
Hi,

Can someone with a workshop manual help me out here? I have been trawling through pages and pages of threads about the 4L60E but every answer I have found all concerns the 6 cylinder model, not the 5 litre.

I serviced my trans on the weekend and after putting it all back together, I filled it with 700ml of additive and 4 litres of fluid, took it for a short drive to build up the temp, checking along the way. It still didn't show anything on the dipstick, so I added another 2 litres, checking every 500ml. Still nothing!

How much bloody fluid does this bastard automatic take? I rang a mate that works as a mechanic for Holden and he said 4 - 4.5 litres, but I have already put much more than that in and it's still not registering on the dipstick? In total, I have put in 6 and 3/4 litres.

Also, there are no leaks and I have been checking it hot and in park, like you are supposed to.

Any help would be appreciated.

dynoryder

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
vp executive wagon
hay mate what did you do to it

in a fillter change you only need 4lt

but if you drain the hole box you need 9lt i dont know how you would of drained the hole box

last time i did my fillter i over filled my box cuz i dident go through the gears(just move the sick up and down) then i did this (while car is started) the level droped the i filled it up and over filled im not worreyed cuz it need a new box

but maby somehow you drained the converta if you did plz let me know how so i can do this to my next gearbox

ElDubya

Mad As A Meataxe
Reaction score
Members Ride
2011 VE Commodore V6
No, all I did was a filter change and emptied the trans cooler on the side of the radiator. It's in a late 93 VR SS if that makes any difference?

_R_J_K_

Reaction score
Members Ride
Zenki S14
What additive did you put in it?

As far as I know, your supposed to check the car while hot, on, and in neutral. Also, this may sound stupid, but make sure you're on level ground.

dynoryder

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
vp executive wagon
if the cooler was upgraded or not on the car stock that is your prob

ElDubya

Mad As A Meataxe
Reaction score
Members Ride
2011 VE Commodore V6
Doesn't anyone have a 5 litre 4L60E manaul that specifically says how much fluid is required after a filter change? I really don't want to overfill it.

hako

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS11 BT1 V6
When you pump the oil out thru the cooler you pump more out than the sump holds. I'd just add more oil till it reads correct.

hako

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS11 BT1 V6
Doesn't anyone have a 5 litre 4L60E manaul that specifically says how much fluid is required after a filter change? I really don't want to overfill it.

7.9 litres dry or 4.8 litres for a service refill (pan off) - from the Gregorys manual

ElDubya

Mad As A Meataxe
Reaction score
Members Ride
2011 VE Commodore V6
4.8 litres for a service refill (pan off) - from the Gregorys manual

Cheers, but I am still stumped. I have poured 6 and 3/4 litres into it and it's still not registering on the dipstick. Surely the stock standard trans cooler incorporated in the side of the radiator doesn't hold 2 litres of fluid?

Sabbath'

Redblock Jesus
Reaction score
Members Ride
80 Series// VFII Black Edition
Also, ensure you're checking the level in Park with the motor running.