Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Transmission rebuild

bc77

Reaction score
Members Ride
VTII Calais 5.7
My transmission on VT 5.7 needs a rebuild. Done some ringing around and got quotes from $1700 to $2200. When I asked the guys who did the $2200 quotes (2 of them) why they are more than the $1700 they said "you get what you pay for" is this true? I dont know much about what is involved with a rebuild. I am looking at going with the quote from my regular mechanic of $2200 because I trust him however another mechanic will replace the transmission with a brand new VY transmission for $2300. Firstly what should I look at paying for a transmission rebuild? Is there really a difference between the $1700 and $2200 rebuild? And finally would I be best to go for the VY transmission for $2300 (comes with 3 year warranty). All comments apprecieated!!

Tsunamix

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT 2
I got quotes of 2100 to 2300 for a 4L60 E.

1860 for a standard rebuild, $2100 including a transgo stage 2 kit, and a Corvette billett servo piston.

My personal Choice was to have a trans I know and trust, rebuilt with good gear by someone I know.

The VY transmission will be no different to the VT. They wer all 4L65E's until the 80E came out behind the alloytec's.

Go and look at the workshops, find one with a spotlessly clean assembly bench, and a secretary (you DON"T want to be interrupted when rebuilding an auto trans). Use him and specifiy good gear. If you want a shift kit, go Transgo. Corvette Billett servo is a must for faster shifts.

Not sure if you could really get a brand new 4L64E for $2300. Thats doesn't quite strike me as right, I think they're worth more new. It certainly wouldnt have any better gear in it, and is probably going to be about as effective as teh $1900 rebuild, although warranty is nice.

NVE_069

Reaction score
Members Ride
Wh Statesman LS1
Its funny how pp seem to think things cost more, I know I used to think like this too so when I got a quote in it was cheaper then I thought and made me happy hahahaha. Here ya go, these are brand new aswell. I also heard you can use a Vy trans, just need to get the shift points changed?

VZ V8 4L65E AUTO TRANSMISSION

chargedvx6

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SII HBD Calais L67
Tsunamix, they wer 4L60Es until the VE dependant on model, not 4L65E but it was an option on some VY models I think.

To the OP, alot of people are doing roller shaft conversions these days and some extra billet servos have become available on the market too so they can be pricey but the main part that adds expense is the machinging time and tooling to make these parts adapt to the trans.

One question you need to ask yourself is "what are my goals with the car?". If the answer is nothing, jut want a stocker, I would go for the VY box as they have a revised pressure solenoid and optimised electrics (as far as the primitive 60E goes lol) which makes them a really nice shifting box to drive.

If you want mods but no turb or charger/ nos etc the $1800 rebuild with a shift kit and stall converter would do. The builder should set the specs up to work well for your desired power level.

IMO with the amazing scope of the LS1 you should go for a roller shaft conversion, billet 3rd apply/ servos, transgo shift kit and apply pistons plus a nice 3500rpm+ stall. This will either make you hate the car or set you on avery good path. You may need a tune though after to get rid of some codes.

Tsunamix

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT 2
Charged your right. I meant to say they were all 4L60E, but I can't type. 65E came out in VE's behind the 6's, and 4L80E behind the factory 8's. 4L85E is coming and might already be in the HSV gear.

bc77

Reaction score
Members Ride
VTII Calais 5.7
I dont want to do to much with the car power wise but want to make the most of what it has, I may do extractors and exhaust down the track. All im after is smooth quick changes and longest life. Looks like the rebuild with a shift kit may be the way to go. One thing I have always noticed about my current transmission is it shifts very early unless you are driving it hard. I always seem to shift before 2000 rpm. Is this something that can be changed eaisly with the new transmission?

Craig ungerer

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vu 2001 maloo
I got quotes of 2100 to 2300 for a 4L60 E.

1860 for a standard rebuild, $2100 including a transgo stage 2 kit, and a Corvette billett servo piston.

My personal Choice was to have a trans I know and trust, rebuilt with good gear by someone I know.

The VY transmission will be no different to the VT. They wer all 4L65E's until the 80E came out behind the alloytec's.

Go and look at the workshops, find one with a spotlessly clean assembly bench, and a secretary (you DON"T want to be interrupted when rebuilding an auto trans). Use him and specifiy good gear. If you want a shift kit, go Transgo. Corvette Billett servo is a must for faster shifts.

Not sure if you could really get a brand new 4L64E for $2300. Thats doesn't quite strike me as right, I think they're worth more new. It certainly wouldnt have any better gear in it, and is probably going to be about as effective as teh $1900 rebuild, although warranty is nice.
I have to rebuild my Ls1 auto box and looks like it’s going to be around $4300 for rebuild and high stall converter. And around $1000 more for fast bits :(