Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Transmission Service VT

Bronson3

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Commodore
Could someone PLEASE grant me with a "dummies how-to" on servicing the transmission on my car.
I've found a couple guides like this great one here:

https://forums.justcommodores.com.au/threads/how-change-transmission-filter-fluid.168000

But it's so hard to decipher what he's saying apart from the poor layout it's great content. (by poor layout I mean, I'm somewhat dyslexic and it's hard for me to stare at big blocks of text please don't think I want to be spoon fed, just really struggling)

I have read and vaguely understand the process, but would I definately need car ramps etc. Could I just jack the prick up and away we go? or is that not a bright idea?

Anything I need to look out for?
Tips and such appreciated, cheers guys, always a great help! :)

EYY

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Statesman
It's pretty easy, just messy.

Jack up front and rear and lower car onto jack stands
Undo transmission pan bolts
Remove cover
Pull filter off
Clean magnet in bottom of transmission pan
Fit new filter (and seal if you're confident) and gasket
Bolt transmission pan back on using a torque wrench
Fill with oil and let idle, check again and fill to correct level.

Try and follow that guide you've linked above, it's pretty comprehensive. If you don't like getting oily, pay a shop to do it.

Btw, I never use ramps. Garage floor is too slippery to use them and it's easier to work on with a clear floor.

ozNick

Reaction score
Members Ride
VL Berlina 3.0 Auto

Jxfwsf

Reaction score
Members Ride
commodore
It's pretty easy, just messy.

Jack up front and rear and lower car onto jack stands
Undo transmission pan bolts
Remove cover
Pull filter off
Clean magnet in bottom of transmission pan
Fit new filter (and seal if you're confident) and gasket
Bolt transmission pan back on using a torque wrench
Fill with oil and let idle, check again and fill to correct level.

Try and follow that guide you've linked above, it's pretty comprehensive. If you don't like getting oily, pay a shop to do it.

Btw, I never use ramps. Garage floor is too slippery to use them and it's easier to work on with a clear floor.

Fit some rubber bits to the back edge of the ramps, that'll stop em sliding (or dyna bolt them down), maybe i'm just lazy and cbf using 4 axle stands and jacking it up twice :p.
Not a matter of confidence, fit a new seal regardless.
Don't really need a torque wrench for cork gaskets, do all bolts up finger tight, nip em up with a ratchet (1/4" drive) when you start to see them physically distort and push out between the 2 surfaces you've gone to far, back off the bolt until it's flush (bitta low strength loctite on the bolts providing the threads are clean as well).
Oh and go buy a kitty litter tray from the supermarket that is bigger than the pan to catch it all when you drop it.

EYY

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Statesman
Fit some rubber bits to the back edge of the ramps, that'll stop em sliding (or dyna bolt them down), maybe i'm just lazy and cbf using 4 axle stands and jacking it up twice :p.
Not a matter of confidence, fit a new seal regardless.
Hopefully I won't need to worry about jacking things up anymore soon. Starting to look as though a hoist is on the cards :p

Just mentioned the seal, because I've seen a few threads where people have damaged the bore from failed attempts when trying to remove the old seal, when they would've been better off leaving it. I agree, it really should be done though - I should've said: if you're not confident in changing it, find someone who is :p

Jxfwsf

Reaction score
Members Ride
commodore
Yeah they're nice and affordable now, couple G if you have somewhere to put it is a damn good investment.
Ok ok, they're a bitch to get out.... but destroying and gouging into the alloy? they're not that difficult.... some people just shouldn't be allowed near cars.