Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Transmission Service?

R

rimz81

ther bands are controlled by hydraulic pressure and are used to change the gear ratio in the planetery gearset.and that rumbling sound could be anything-tailshaft unis burned out valve in cylinder head :D

hako

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS11 BT1 V6
You shouldn't hear the exhaust at 80kph unless you have a hole in it however if you do then the "rumble" could just be due to the increase in revs when changing from 4th to 3rd gear which one would expect. Most older cars with autos had BorgWarner boxes or similar which had adjustable bands...basically clutches within the auto box - if they weren't correctly adjusted the box could shudder/slip/squark/etc but I think electrically controlled autos like the Commo one has no adjustment though I could be completely wrong here.

C

Chaser_1

There is nothing that your transmission guy can adjust in just a typical transmission service....All he will do is drain the oil and change the filter, then drive the car for a bit to settle the fluid in and most likely add more. If you can, get the guy to put in the best trannie oil that you can afford as it suprisingly does help, typically the cheap stuff doesnt have as high as boiling point(your 4ltr for $25)and thus starts to heat up earlier,burning the oil and potentially doing damage to your gearbox, the more expensive stuff (eg penrite) wont burn as easily and will last longer in your transmisson and protect it better.
Its like the difference between good engine oil and ****....same applies for transmission

fitzy2005

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY S2 Berlina
well, not in the best of moods, the tranny shop reackons i prolly need a new transmission soon :( ive got it booked in next week for a service, they gonna check it out then