Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Transmission Temp Guage ??

guss

Reaction score
Website
users.bigpond.net.au
Members Ride
VN Calais
has anyone heard of this being possible ??? after i just replaced tranny, i wanna know exactly whats going in there.

xcop5l

4th year spanner spinner
Reaction score
Members Ride
VN ex cop 5L
you can get the gauges from auto shops, they wont tell you whats going on in the auto but they will tell you what temp its running at

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
seeing as you have just spent a fortune on gettingyour box reco'd if i was you i would be investing in some extra protection for that box. i'd install a remote oil filter in your cooler lines that filters the same as the engine oil. the standard filter in the tranny is only ofthe screen type and isn't really going to keep small particles outo the transmission fluid. i've added a pic below of the remote filter i've got comming for the missus VS. as a bonus the remote filter mount has a 3rd 1/8" port thats perfect for a temp sender so you can mount your trans temp gauge. i'd also recomend fitting a external trans cooler ifyou haven't already done so

Attachments

• sum-g4980_s.jpg
    sum-g4980_s.jpg
    963 bytes · Views: 384

FXST01

The Grey Man
Reaction score
Members Ride
VP V6 Exec
I'm planning on doing this but with a dual remote filters and thermostat.

Immortality

Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
heres a chart on tranny life expectancy and temperature. you can see the hotter it gets the quicker it will die. good reason for that big external cooler

Attachments

• trans_life_expectancy_small.jpg
    trans_life_expectancy_small.jpg
    14.8 KB · Views: 333

FXST01

The Grey Man
Reaction score
Members Ride
VP V6 Exec
heres a chart on tranny life expectancy and temperature. you can see the hotter it gets the quicker it will die. good reason for that big external cooler

Immortality,

Do you have a bigger copy of this graph?

Nevermind, i just used the TCI in google and woolah

guss

Reaction score
Website
users.bigpond.net.au
Members Ride
VN Calais
yer i already installed a 6x12 inch cooler just behind the grille, i might look into that remote filter / temp guage setup thou, thankx for the info.

Furious_8

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC Twin Turbo, VN Turbo, VY Storm
I would not recommend fitting a in-line Oil Filter. As the trans only sends a % of fluid to the cooler it would not filter all oil. But as the cooler only sends a % of oil through the cooler it has to cool as best as possible and a quickly as possible. at idle in park the cooler must flow 1 Liter every 15 seconds. If it flows 1 liter in 30 seconds there is a problem with the cooling system. You could install as many coolers on as your want but if the flow drops its a wast of time as the cool oil is not getting to the trans fast enough.

Immortality

Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
I would not recommend fitting a in-line Oil Filter. As the trans only sends a % of fluid to the cooler it would not filter all oil. But as the cooler only sends a % of oil through the cooler it has to cool as best as possible and a quickly as possible. at idle in park the cooler must flow 1 Liter every 15 seconds. If it flows 1 liter in 30 seconds there is a problem with the cooling system. You could install as many coolers on as your want but if the flow drops its a wast of time as the cool oil is not getting to the trans fast enough.

i shouldn't see a problem with installing a remote filter, the filter is huge compared to the engine filter (fram ph8a, the same i believe as the ford V8 engine oil filter)so no doubt it has really good flow and ATF is much thinner then regular engine oil so it should flow well enough, i doubt it's going to reduce the flow by much at all through the cooler. even if only 1/4 the oil at any one time is flowing through the cooler as the system circulates the fluid it's all going to pass through the cooler/new filter at some stage and thats got to be better then just the screen filter in the tranny sump which really isn't going to remove jack from the fluid really