Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Transmission??? TPS?? Something Else???

Maccar

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Calais 304
Thanks for the replys and info guys. I just did the job today and now have a whole new problem to contend with!! The job itself was easy enough and although I didn't replace the IAC I did pull it off and scrape some of the crappy deposits off. The o'ring was in good nick. I cleaned the throttle body as it was craphola. I inspected the wiring and all seems great. After reassembly I now have the car idling high about 1500rpm. I realise the ECU is a "learning" one and this is a common problem. I have tried disconnecting the battery for about ten mins, that did nothing but nearly give me a heart attack when I put it back on!! (Is everyones vt Calais horn really loud!!) I took it for a drive, drove great except the obvious idle being high made her harder to stop. Ive started her about 10 times to no avail and ive also disconnected the battery for about a min then started and held revs at 2000rpm but I think this is the vn/vs method. Question is, is there a proper way to reset the ecu on a vt ser1 Calais v8? (304) Once I have done this If problem persists I will pull all apart again and replace IAC.

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
Sounds like the IAC stepper motor is cactus. As far as I'm aware from VS onward the idle is reset every time the car is started.

HICOMPVN

Wanting That Lil Bit More
Reaction score
Members Ride
1995 VR SII Commodore
late series 2 vr's do also, I had a slightly similar problem, changed my iac and tps, shifting all good now

Maccar

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Calais 304
Turns out my "learning ECU" is a bit slow! It needed the night disconnected to come good, idle is fine now :) Ill hook the boat up later and see if she codes.