Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Transmission warning light on VS

Old Colts in Oz

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Wagon
Had a Trans service done about 5,000 kms ago on my servies 1 VS wagon. All was ok but last weekend I towed a small trailer from Adelaide to Melbourne and halfway through the trip the Trans warning light on the dash started coming on. The Trans fluid levels are fine and now that I'm back home, it seems to come on at various times and stay on - even after driving it for only 5 minutes or so. Any ideas? Apart from the light, all seems ok and it shifts the same as it always has.

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VT s2 Exec, VX Calais II L67
have you tested for fault codes?

Old Colts in Oz

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Wagon
Nah, I'm assuming you need some equipment for that....?

Cheap6

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Exec
One quick and simple check might be to check the fuse for the reverse lights. It may be VR only but I have a recollection that the reverse light fuse also provides power to the trans. electrics (or some of them). The extra electrical load (and, it must be said, sometimes dodgy wiring) from the trailer lights can blow the fuse.

Old Colts in Oz

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Wagon
Hi guys,

Great suggestions! I'll check them out when I get home. That codes thing is an interesting read!

Old Colts in Oz

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Wagon
Checked the fuses - all good. This morning I was 5 minutes after leaving home and the engine/trans light came on again and stayed on all the way to work. From reading the codes thread, you have to just have the car not running and ignition on. As soon as I turned the car off and bridged the PINS, put ignition back on and the codes showed 12 which is all good as far as I can tell. Any other ideas?

Thanks in advance :)

hako

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS11 BT1 V6
Try disconnecting the battery for 30 seconds - this sometimes helps with 'strange' problems. Then if the light comes on again do the codes test again.

kopper69

Reaction score
Members Ride
VRII Acclaim
Checked the fuses - all good. This morning I was 5 minutes after leaving home and the engine/trans light came on again and stayed on all the way to work. From reading the codes thread, you have to just have the car not running and ignition on. As soon as I turned the car off and bridged the PINS, put ignition back on and the codes showed 12 which is all good as far as I can tell. Any other ideas?

Thanks in advance :)

Just to confirm, it showed code 12 three times, then after a slightly longer break showed code 12 again?

Old Colts in Oz

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Wagon
Yep, it flashed once for the "10", then a pause and flashed twice for the "2". It then did the same again 2 more times ( hope that makes sense ). I haven't disconnected the battery yet but the plot does thicken.... The car starting running a bit rough on LPG on Friday so I had to flick it over the Petrol. It's still running a bit rough on petrol but the engine light hasn't come back on again since. I'm thinking it's LPG related........