Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Transmission

jujibelly

ERROR_PATH_NOT_FOUND
Reaction score
Members Ride
Vr Commodore
See I already know the common symptoms of a trans fluid leaking internally in a radiator but the problem is that there is no coolant on the transmission dipstick (the fluid is still at optimum level, clean and red still) but therein lies the problem.

nathanVY

such boost
Reaction score
Members Ride
2003 VY LS1 Turbo Calais, 2005 4Gen Liberty Wagon
See I already know the common symptoms of a trans fluid leaking internally in a radiator but the problem is that there is no coolant on the transmission dipstick (the fluid is still at optimum level, clean and red still) but therein lies the problem.

Not sure how coolant can be leaking out the transmission pan gasket then..

D3V14NT

Likes Shiny Things
Reaction score
Members Ride
93 VP BT1 V6
Can always drop the pan to confirm if there is coolant in there or not. But you would think that it would show on the dipstick if it's leaking out from the pan gasket. Maybe try removing the trans lines from the cooler and topping up with water to see if it flows out from the trans line fittings.

It's possible that the heater core is leaking with the majority of coolant running out the drain pipe with the remainder drying off the heater quickly due to the heat. When you lost all the coolant was the heater tap open at all? Shouldn't have any flow into the heater core if the tap is closed.

Darren_L

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH SS
There is no gasket between engine and transmisssion, it is leaking from the transmission sump gasket. That was my inital check after seeing no coolant around engine area, but not a single drop of moisture around heater core area.

just to clarify by 'coolant on the floor' do you mean there is there coolant on the floor inside the car ?
if there is, then the only thing it can be is the heater core. You won't necessarily find moisture directly under the heater case because the case has a sump which usually drains out the drain tube or if it's bad enough it will overflow out the floor vents onto the floor. There is no other way coolant will get on your floor unless you literally spill a container of coolant on the floor....

nathanVY

such boost
Reaction score
Members Ride
2003 VY LS1 Turbo Calais, 2005 4Gen Liberty Wagon
I'm thinking it's probably leaking somewhere else and dripping near the pan gasket making it look like it's leaking. The only way for coolant to leak out the transmission pan is for it to be mixed with transmission fluid (there is literally no other way). Possibly heater tap or coolant hose at the rear of the engine has split/cracked and is leaking and dripping down the back. As suggested possibly the heater core (if it is inside the car then it's definitely the heater core)

jujibelly

ERROR_PATH_NOT_FOUND
Reaction score
Members Ride
Vr Commodore
just to clarify by 'coolant on the floor' do you mean there is there coolant on the floor inside the car ?
if there is, then the only thing it can be is the heater core. You won't necessarily find moisture directly under the heater case because the case has a sump which usually drains out the drain tube or if it's bad enough it will overflow out the floor vents onto the floor. There is no other way coolant will get on your floor unless you literally spill a container of coolant on the floor....

Nah no coolant at all inside cabin.

Yeah it's got me stumped, I am going to drop the trans sump sometime during the weekend and see wtf is going on. Will let you guys know if I find anything interesting haha.

delcowizzid

on holiday
Reaction score
Members Ride
в∞ѕтεכ √&
theres no water in the transmission at all the closest point of water is the rear of the engine ide say its tracking along the bellhousing and onto the box or leaking out of a heater hose down the firewall onto the box.trans fluid would be pink milky milkshake all ready if it was inside the tranny pan