Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

transmission

redroverv8

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs wagon v6
hi all does anyone have any info on why the trns fluid would be forced up thru the filler pipe all over the engine ?,my son had this happen to himself tonite in my 96, vs, asked him if he had left the dipstick out but he said no , any ideas :hmmm:

EDGE3

Reaction score
Members Ride
1997 VS COMMODORE,1996 GTS-R COMMODORE
Was the dipstick clipped on tight enough?

redroverv8

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs wagon v6
i,m told it was, but they tell you wat you want to hear .

EDGE3

Reaction score
Members Ride
Another thing is that the pressure regulator might be stuffed and is there any chance that there's to much fluid in the trans,this will cause the fluid to come out of the filler pipe and also overheating can cause this

bruggz351

Reaction score
Members Ride
vn wagon
My bet is the breather on top of the trans is blocked...
Small tube just down from the bell...

cheers

EDGE3

Reaction score
Members Ride
Could be the breather/vent is blocked and also the trans cooler isn't working properly

redroverv8

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs wagon v6
i had wonderd about that, as the hose did seem to be under a lot of pressure ,more than normal, i,ll have to clean it all tomorrow and refill and test the cooling system, thanks for your input, much appreciated

EDGE3

Reaction score
Members Ride
No worries keep us posted with the outcome cheers

Cracka

Banned :P
Reaction score
Members Ride
Old Sneakers
+1 on the breather, my 4l60e dipstick doesn't lock tight/properly as its a tad old and worn and it has never had an issue.

Have you checked the rear wheel arches for shreded rubber yet?

Brett_jjj

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
When these transmissions are worked hard and get hot,like when towing on a hot day,they can blow out the dipstick under pressure and spew trans fluid out of the dipstick hole,which can cause a fire.This was a problem that first came up on the early VR's I think it was, and holden recalled them and fitted the locking type dipstick on the transmissions to fix the problem and reduce the fire risk..I think the later VR and VS with towing packages had an auxilliary transmission cooler fitted in front of the radiator to help dissipate heat out of the trans..These locking type dipsticks can wear out and loose their tightness in the trans tube.Its probably best to replace them if they are worn and loose..
Your young bloke must have been giving it a bit of a hard time to get it hot like that,if thats what it was caused from,maybe from pulling the odd burnout perhaps..Id get a transmission filter service kit for $25 and 5 litres of dexron 111(3) type trans fluid for another $25 and give the transmission a good service.