Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Transmissions these days

Tony.

Reaction score
Members Ride
VUII SS
It is crazy to think where transmission technology will be in 20+ years when you think about what you mentioned.

Despite the advancements in gear numbers, shift times, smoothness and all that.... personally I still love the feel of the good old 4LE60. It is definitely not the best auto out there, but I do miss having one every now and then (usually when sitting in heavy traffic, when my left leg has had it!)

aaronevolution

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
TURISMO VZ SS 6.0
Just wish my transmission would learn if its wants 3rd or 4th @ 70kms, you go .000000000000001° up a slope it changes up and down so often lol
I Like the Idea if CVT Transmissions, Simply holding the Revs and just changing the ratio for speed.

CVT Transmissions are horrible to drive though. Maybe it takes getting used too.

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
More features = more things to fail = $$$$

I'd like nothing more than a simple cog swapper, more fun to drive too

edals

Reaction score
Members Ride
-
CVT Transmissions are horrible to drive though. Maybe it takes getting used too.

Oh yes very strange to drive, i said i like the idea not the way they drive lol

Calaber

Nil Bastardo Carborundum
Reaction score
Members Ride
CG Captiva 5 Series 2
When it was released with the Mark 5 Golf, the DSG 6 speed auto won rave reviews for the rapid and smooth gear changes.

A few years down the road and DSG is very much a dirty "word" in the trade. Unreliable, extremely expensive to repair, just downright troublesome. The transmission can leave you with no gear at all, change by itself when not required, pick the wrong ratio. Heaps of issues with them.

My other half was disappointed we bought our Golf with the manual trans. Hmm, think I might have made the right decision there.

aaronevolution

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
TURISMO VZ SS 6.0
When it was released with the Mark 5 Golf, the DSG 6 speed auto won rave reviews for the rapid and smooth gear changes.

A few years down the road and DSG is very much a dirty "word" in the trade. Unreliable, extremely expensive to repair, just downright troublesome. The transmission can leave you with no gear at all, change by itself when not required, pick the wrong ratio. Heaps of issues with them.

My other half was disappointed we bought our Golf with the manual trans. Hmm, think I might have made the right decision there.

I agree. I've driven the VW Golf, Caddy, and Transporter with the DSG and they are horrible. The Aisin 8 speed in the Touareg though is much better.

Earwig

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Senator
Test drove a Golf GTi yesterday, VW warranty on DSG box is now 5 years. Great car!

Last edited:

Jecs

PAVTEK Race Engines
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
'97 Caprice 355ci & VZ SS Ute
fully manualised autos FTW

Ghost

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
Vs Commodore berlina Sedan 1996
I'm 50/50 p making my vy manual I recently was going down a hill and slowly got it back to 2nd and once I was locked in 2nd I only had to touch the brakes slightly to slow down to the slower speed limit coming up I think ill stick with the auto

Drawnnite

Obviously Unsensible
Reaction score
Members Ride
2000 Vs Ute
I'm 50/50 p making my vy manual I recently was going down a hill and slowly got it back to 2nd and once I was locked in 2nd I only had to touch the brakes slightly to slow down to the slower speed limit coming up I think ill stick with the auto

you can do the same thing in a manual.
going downhill. dump it back a gear. only occasionally need to dab the brakes.
but a manual and city traffic is maddening :p

as for the autos.
was talking to the boss a few weeks ago.
he was saying that in the new scoobies that he could be going up in speed and the revs were going down. was tripping him out.
its one of those variable transmissions. and apparently this model has very little that can physically go wrong. so could be the way of the future.

im wondering how long itll be until they pretty much go only automatics in new cars.
probably will be in 20years like your prediction of wondering how itll be then.