Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

transplant

ringfeder3

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ssz crewman, wm caprice, 2018 prado, hq Belmont u
i put a thread on earlier entitled 'seized v8' and i thank all those who replied. all the responses were very informative. unfortunately, the need to get this ute on the road as a second vehicle means that i don't have the time to troubleshoot what could be a can of worms. consequently, i am thinking about a donor vehicle from which i can transplant the whole motor and drivetrain. it seems that a v8 statesman might be the best option (the recipient is a 5 litre vs ute) and if i can pick up a cheap one with some rego left, maybe i will have a chance to drive any bugs out of it before swapping things over. is the swap a fairly straightforward operation? how much of the statesman is compatible? i know i need at least a motor and trans but if suspension components were roadworthy, i might use them as well. any thoughts ir suggestions? (Ute was on lpg but system removed. transmission auto)

gluten3

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY L67
i put a thread on earlier entitled 'seized v8' and i thank all those who replied. all the responses were very informative. unfortunately, the need to get this ute on the road as a second vehicle means that i don't have the time to troubleshoot what could be a can of worms. consequently, i am thinking about a donor vehicle from which i can transplant the whole motor and drivetrain. it seems that a v8 statesman might be the best option (the recipient is a 5 litre vs ute) and if i can pick up a cheap one with some rego left, maybe i will have a chance to drive any bugs out of it before swapping things over. is the swap a fairly straightforward operation? how much of the statesman is compatible? i know i need at least a motor and trans but if suspension components were roadworthy, i might use them as well. any thoughts ir suggestions? (Ute was on lpg but system removed. transmission auto)

Stato has IRS but ute is live axle - so you can only use front suspension (I presume bushes have taken a battering on the ute?)

ringfeder3

Reaction score
Members Ride
yes. the ute has spent it's life on dirt roads in western nsw. the original 3:08 lsd looks ok, it is the front suspension i'd try and use. i suppose i would recycle as many switches and bits and pieces as well and sell off any extra stuff like the bigger fuel tank.

VS 5.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Z Series M6
i suppose i would recycle as many switches and bits and pieces as well

If you do get a stato doner, there is also the option to do an interior change for more luxo.

EYY

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Statesman
Everything is a straight swap - apart from the cat back exhaust.

Just swap everything that’s bolted to the k frame essentially. It’s all plug and play. A/c is just a matter of swapping hoses/lines.

I’ve done the conversion so feel free to ask any questions

ringfeder3

Reaction score
Members Ride
thanks everybody, seems to be the way to go.