Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Traumatic woes

bfhoon

Reaction score
Members Ride
vx commodore
Whenever I press acc pedal on and off again
it's like it's going from 1st to 3rd with a terrible
bang.Sounds like it could cause some serious damage.
Otherwise she changes up and down good.
Is this an easy fix or just get another trans?
Maybe is loose bands dont know heaps about transmissions but I remember my trimatic years ago got stuck in 1st gear just wouldnt change drove it 80 kilometres home in 1st gear very very painful especially in a 3 speed with a loud exhaust. Anyway one of my mates who is a mechanic got in it to drive it to his place to change it to a manual box I had lying around. He got it to change gears just mashed the accelerator pedal to the floor she changed gears with an almighty bang ended up being loose bands and maybe some valve issues I think.

DerekP

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH SL/E 5.0
It could be a multitude of issues. Check your trans fluid levels (at operating temp, in gear), check the colour of the fluid (it should be red / pink NOT brown), it could be loose bands, valve seals etc etc, an auto service is not usually that expensive if you are unable to do it yourself. A standard auto service will be able to tell whether it just needs a service or the box is cactus....

jcvhsle

Reaction score
Members Ride
vh Sle 4.2, ve SSZ z wagon
First thing I always check when jammed in first and won’t change is the detent switch.

gtrboyy

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt ss & lc gtr
Check if oil burnt,you'll know by colour & smell.

After that get instruction service manual & check everything.

Most likely overdue for full service & needs band adjustment.