Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Trimatic Trans

SuperStar

Reaction score
As a few of you have read by now, i have a 1987 VL V8 Berlina which is starting to cause me some problems. Not big problems, just some minor problems (for the time being)

Anyway

The guy prior to me, didnt seem that interested in servicing his VL.

The first thing i did was an oil change. Like omg, he easily went like 6 months on this oil. It was pitch black.

Next come the trany fluid. I went 2 super cheap and brought the 'VL V8 trimatic 86-88 filter and gasket' Got home. Ripped the trany sump out, removed the filter. Was just about to put the new filter in, and realised that there was a big difference. After studying the filters for a while i took a look at the gasket. It was a completly differnt size and shape to the sump pan i had.
So i wrapped it back up, drove all the way back to supercheap, said can i swap this over. Took the original filter with me to compare it to the kits on the shelf. Found the one i was looking for, looked up the code in the book to see what it was for, and it read something along this lines of "84 Holden VK 3.3L 6 cylnder"

I was very suprized @ the fact that the VL V8 trimatic was the same as the VK 6 cylnder.

Does this sound right to you? i dont think it is.

Any idea's?

thanks.

Charles.

G

Grantis1976

Unfortunatly, the only diff. between a 6 & 8 cyl trimatic is the clutch packs.

It can be a pain in the arse, because there was the occassional change in pan depths, & filter size.

As for ur oils, I'd buy a cheaper brand, run it for about 3 days, then dump it, change filter again, and replenish with the good stuff ( whatever ur choice is ! )

Good Luck !!!

SuperStar

Reaction score
Ok, im still a little lost.

Have i got a V8 VL trimatic, or do i have the 6 VK trimatic. How can i find out for sure. I dont mind buying the 6 VK kit, as long as i know it will hold together with the power of the V8 Engine. If you can see where im comming from.

prettyboringbloke

Reaction score
Members Ride
96 VSII SS 03 CV8 Monaro
Trimatic was a misprint... it is supposed to read "Traumatic".

Is this VL a little yellow and sour by any chance?

SuperStar

Reaction score
prettyboringbloke said:
Trimatic was a misprint... it is supposed to read "Traumatic".

Is this VL a little yellow and sour by any chance?
What are you on about??

OSL-060

Banned
Reaction score
SuperStar said:
Ok, im still a little lost.

Have i got a V8 VL trimatic, or do i have the 6 VK trimatic. How can i find out for sure. I dont mind buying the 6 VK kit, as long as i know it will hold together with the power of the V8 Engine. If you can see where im comming from.

You've got the V8 Trimatic, if the VK 6 Trimatic gear matches up with what you took out it'll be fine. Both boxes look almost identical, they just have different internals- ie. Clutch Packs, Valve bodies.

If it was a full rebuild kit, then you'd want the V8 trimatic kit ;)

G

Grantis1976

Get ur trimatic serviced by a QUALIFIED tech. I usualy look for someone who services/owns race cars, as they know and understand the extra strength required.

A V8 kit will fit the 6cyl box, as they are physicaly the same. You could save urself a couple of dollars buy shopping around for the kit urself, just make sure that whoever you choose to do the work is happy to install that particular brand.

As for ur engine oil, I suggested the use of a cheaper oil for a day or two to get some freash stuff flowwing through ur motor, and get rid of the old ****.
After that, you change to the good oil, and IT will be mixed with alittle cheap, but new oil instead of black sludge.

My only other suggestion would be to replace ur cam, and the timming chain with a double row unit. Both can be sourced through crow cams, or possibly even the "JC" store.

Good Luck, and may the tyre-fryer gods be with you !!!