Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Trip Computer VY SS

stumpy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY 5.7 SS M6
I have recently got a VY SS 6M and the trip computer seems to be very inaccurate! When the fuel gauge reads 1/4 it tells me I've got 90 km to empty, but when I fill it up it only takes 40 litres or so, meaning I've still got 35 Litres left. Are they all this inaccurate or should I get it checked out whilst still under warranty? Do they work off the fuel gauge or do they actually measure the amount of fuel consummed?
Thanks Peter.

Fekason

Fekason
Reaction score
Members Ride
2016 MY16 SV6, 2 x Triumph 2500 (1970/77), manuals
A number of software upgrades.

There have been a number of software upgrades for the VY fuel guage and trip computer readouts.

You might mention to a dealers service departyment your concern. There are indications that the software update has helped some, but there also tales of it making it worse.

It appears that Holden prefer the fuel pump in the tank to stay immersed and thus cool, so they try to encourage refilling early.

You could carry a 20 litre jerry can in the boot and drive till it runs out to determine the actual tank quantity. Then you could do a calibration check of the fuel used (over say 500 litres) to determine that accuracy, and then use the fuel used as your signal to refuel.

Or you could upgrade to a HSV/Statesman/Calais/Berlina 3 window cluster, which can be accurately calibrated.

cosmo94

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS Ute
My VY series 2 SS ute is not much better, kms left and avergae fuel consumption are way out. Still waiting to hit 10 000km in mine and will see if dealer can fix or at least improve at time of service. From what i have read holden know its a problem with this model but because its not a safty issue it is not a recall, what do you call running out of fuel in the middle of no where???