Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Trouble shoot for me please guys

missmcudd

The Bee Sting butterfly
Reaction score
Members Ride
Black Mini Cooper
Hey guys im having a problem and im going to use the excuse that im a girl and dont know how to fix it.

Recently my vp lx had problems with the fuel pump and the fuel pump was replaced. Everything was working great until

all of a sudden my fuel guage stopped reading properly.
when my car starts the fuel guage goes up to 3/4 full and then sticks there. When the car is off it goes back down to normal... its not actually stuck it still moves up and down but reads the same amount regardless of how much fuel i have in my car. So its annoying, my boyfriends cousin says its the cluster that needs to be changed but i think its not that its the thingy in the fuel tank thats stuck or bent or something when they changed the fuel pump.

I want it fixed! and no filling my car up and resetting the meter is not an option because i dont want to have to "work out" how much petty i have. I like to know exactly how much i have!

So what can i do?? Any thoughts on if i should just buy a new cluster and hope this fixes it or should i get someone to go and fix the meter thingy in the fuel tank?

NORTI

Reaction score
Members Ride
Wildtrak
try slapping the top of the cluster, if this fixes it then its the solder on the back of the cluster, normally it sticks in the empty postion thou.

I would say off the top of my head that you are correct & the arm for the fuel float has been damaged.

VLDavo

Reaction score
Members Ride
lc torana. vn v8. ke30.mazda 1300.
sounds like the arm is sticking when it gets to that certain point...try what norti said it ususaly helps..... or it could be the sender on the fuel tank thats buggered up :)

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
All gauges are pretty sensitive things, all it takes is a short in the wiring and they bugger up. Have you touched any of the dash since the pump was replaced? Sometimes if a wire gets shorted that leads to your cluster then this would damage the gauge. I had a car that had gauge issues and everytime I touched the tank sender or dash I needed to disconnect the battery and I never stuffed a gauge after that.
I tend to disagree with the float being damaged as this would have shown itself the instant the pump was changed, not a while after.
Disconnect the sender at the tank and see what happens to your gauge, it should go straight up to full as there is no resistance from the sender to bring it down. If it doesn't move then it's probably the gauge.

missmcudd

The Bee Sting butterfly
Reaction score
Members Ride
Black Mini Cooper
hmmm i have smacked the top of the cluster and it just stays in the same position will only go down when the car is turned off.
=( how much is it to get some mechanic to fix the arm thingy because the guys that changed the fuel pump said it might have been bent which is why its fkd now but they are too lazy to fix it (its my bfs cousins) so yeh i need someone to fix it

PaRaDoX

Because Racecouch...
Reaction score
Members Ride
none
hmmm i have smacked the top of the cluster and it just stays in the same position will only go down when the car is turned off.
=( how much is it to get some mechanic to fix the arm thingy because the guys that changed the fuel pump said it might have been bent which is why its fkd now but they are too lazy to fix it (its my bfs cousins) so yeh i need someone to fix it

then smack it harder??? or smack your boyfriend and tell him to fix it :p

try borrowing a cluster, those things are piss easy to swap probbly a sticky gauge as when the cars off it SHOULDNT be displaying any fuel they'res your indication of a rooted gauge not sender, new cluster = $50? and if you dont have a tacho you can get one!

stocky

Reaction score
Members Ride
1995 HSV Clubsport T5, 1991 VN Berlina
if its an lx then its a level 3 dash. are your digital readouts for fuel usage working?

2greedy

VP Calais (SSV)
Reaction score
Website
www.designaglo.com
Members Ride
VY SS HBD6speed manual 5.7ltrs of manual GRUNT!!!
If it,s only happened since they changed the fuel pump i'd be inclined to say they have damaged the float arm or the little wires that the sender slides up and down il'l nearly bet my left .... thats what it is.

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
If it,s only happened since they changed the fuel pump i'd be inclined to say they have damaged the float arm or the little wires that the sender slides up and down il'l nearly bet my left .... thats what it is.
If it happened straight away I would agree but it didn't so I would say it is something else like the gauge itself or a short in the dash somewhere.