Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Trouble with choosing strut VY

BigGez

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY 3.8L Ecotec
Hey there hope you're having a good day I just wanted to try and get some advice, so I'm planning on getting new front struts for my 2003 VY Series 2 ute as I think my front left side bent or something after hitting some potholes and started rubbing and chewing out the inside of my tyre, I also changed all the bushes, ball joints and about to do the steering tie rod ends aswell which may fix the rubbing issue but the struts are atleaste 6 years old so figured I might aswell replace them too, my king springs say KHFL-47 on them which I think is just normal low right? I'm wondering if an el cheapo pair of KYB struts will be okay for these springs as the king spring site recommends the expensive monroe sport shortened struts for these springs, if my springs were super low or ultra low I would understand the need for sport shortened struts but since the struts in there currently seem pretty standard/factory surely a normal set of KYB or even genuine struts would fit the springs well enough? Just want to be able to run my 20's again and TBH the car isn't even that low on these springs, Thank you

Last edited:

Havabigjuan

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Statesman s2 & VY Acclaim Wagon
personally I wouldn't have thought that a shortened shock would be required for "normal low" springs....I say go for it

to be honest having been a month since you posted, I'm curious as to which way you went

BigGez

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY 3.8L Ecotec
personally I wouldn't have thought that a shortened shock would be required for "normal low" springs....I say go for it

to be honest having been a month since you posted, I'm curious as to which way you went
Hey thanks for responding, i ended up changing sway bar links, control arm with new bushes, castor rod bush and new steering rack and all my problems are now fixed, thank you