Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

[VIC] trouble with insurance with OTRCAI

mike_is_bored316

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX SS SERIES II
I was wanting to get an otrcai (over the radiator cold air intake) fitted to my vx ss most likely a ramjet 1 and im unsure as to vicroads rules on cold air induction so instead of throwing my money away on a $160 roadwhorthy ill try and get the info here first. Im insured with the racv and they told me any modification thats compliant with vicroads is fine and that thay dont need to know about it so is an otrcai and a twin 2 and a half inch difilippo catback exhaust compliant with vicroads rules? ive rang elders for a qoute on insurance and they flat out refused to cover me when i do get an otrcai but with racv they are charging me $117 a month for full comp rating 1 + windscreen and im almost 26 and its insured for market value of 16k according to them, tho i dont have that figure in writing in my certificate of insurance which is also a worry.

Also ill be getting a full custom dyno tune as far as i know there should be no problems with that 1 cos either vicroads or my insurance company working that 1 out is pretty unlikely.
Any info or advice from any members of the forum would be greatly appreciated..
Cheers

Last edited:

illusionalvr

Reaction score
Members Ride
toyota lexcen - vr.
shouldnt have a problem with a cold air intake, going by the fact the holden make them. as for exhaust, some companies dont like custom exhausts, but as for roadie, should pass no worries, that of course is that its under the decible limit. when in doubt, ask.

DanVN

Cruizin' in style!
Reaction score
Members Ride
01 WH Statesman International 5.7L
As long as you Fit the ramjet with the MAF and not MAFLESS it should be fine.

mike_is_bored316

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX SS SERIES II
ok so if i retain the maf with a ramjet otr rather than ditch the maf how much will i lose at the fly? cos i was going for the 290kw gm motorsport otrcai + tune for $1,590 if i retain the maf what kinda loss would i be looking at and also if i told them to gut the maf so it looks like its still there but is hollow would that solve the problem entirely?
cheers

Grennan

Slayer of Stupid Threads
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV G8 Sportswagon
You MUST retain the Maf if you want it to be Roadworthy. From memory I dont think many intakes come with the maf option for VX's, they are easier to come across in the VZ and VE models but you might be able to find one.

You might be able to fit a Maf from I think a late VY or VZ as they flowed a lot better.

mike_is_bored316

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX SS SERIES II
You MUST retain the Maf if you want it to be Roadworthy. From memory I dont think many intakes come with the maf option for VX's, they are easier to come across in the VZ and VE models but you might be able to find one.

You might be able to fit a Maf from I think a late VY or VZ as they flowed a lot better.

Cheers thanx for that info its just ive had 1 insurer namely elders flat out refuse to cover me when i get an otr cos according to them anything to do with fuel and air modification is illegal i think thats a load of bull myself but my current racv said as long as vicroads approves it which i assumed meant as long as it could pass a roadworthy or do racv mean that i have to take it to vicroads itself and have a vicroads employee with a clipboard come out and inspect it, If that is what needed to happen for racv to cover me then id be shitting bricks because i know what vicroads is like!