Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Trouble with keys

harryrort

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF commodore wagon
Hi all
My partners vf wagon keeps setting the alarm off horn blowing when the car is locked.
Changed both batteries in the fobs today

BlackVXGTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
GEN-F2 GTS A6, VS Clubsport 185 A4
Standard alarm or aftermarket?

stooge

Reaction score
Members Ride
Turbo Alpaca
Hi all
My partners vf wagon keeps setting the alarm off horn blowing when the car is locked.
Changed both batteries in the fobs today
this happens when there is a mismatch in the programming of the key, its rare but does happen and you should get it fixed because if it causes a lockout the vehicle will need to be towed or someone with the correct programming tools will need to come out.

you could try take the good key to a locksmith and have them program a new key to the vehicle for your partner, if that solves the issue take the battery out of the dodgy key and leave it in a drawer.

MisterB

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II Motorsport Edition
I've got an MSE. Doesn't get driven much. Last time probably 4-5 weeks ago. At that time, the key I normally use was starting to show indications of a flat battery. tested the battery in that remote and it was borderline 3v. Car was reporting that it didn't detect the remote so drove it by inserting the key in the console slot.

Tonight I tried the spare key which had a flat battery so I replaced the battery with a fresh one. Did also replace the battery in the key I normally use too. Both remote keys do not unlock the car. No response whatsoever using either. Not sure what to do next. Car is due for a service shortly so not sure whether this will involve unplanned for expense.

Update. It was driving me bonkers that both keys wouldn't work even with new batteries. So I pulled the newly installed battery out of one of them to have a closer look at the battery contacts. Seeing that the positive contact for CR2032 batteries in these keys relies on touching the outer edge of the positive terminal of the battery I figured that that the contacts in the keys had possibly lost a little tension resulting in unsatisfactory contact. So after carefully bending both positive contacts just a tiny amount in towards the centre of the battery location so that they would make better contact with the outer edge of the positive side of the battery, reinstalling the fresh battery, and what do you know, the key works fine. Traps for young players. Will do the same with the spare key now.

Not sure how sustainable this fix is if the positive contacts have lost a little of their spring tension.

Last edited:

RevNev

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SSV Redline Ute
The other thing I've discovered essential, is using good quality batteries like Energizer, Duracell etc. There's a lot of crappy batteries that often don't work very well and clip in poorly.

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
It‘s a pity that the key itself along with the vehicle systems aren’t more robust and able to cope better with marginal battery voltages. My MSE keys don't work well when their open circuit voltage is just on 3.0V and I use quality Energiser Lithium…

Key fob battery contact spring tension didn’t seem to be a problem but may look at them again…

lmoengnr

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12.5 Maloo R8, MY12 Redline ute, Magnum 224
Buy quality batteries from stores that sell lots of batteries that usually has fresh stock.

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
Buy quality batteries from stores that sell lots of batteries that usually has fresh stock.
The Energiser Lithium I bought have date codes on the pack (as most batteries do). So one can work out how far into their shelf life they have progressed since they were manufactured ;)

In my case there was PD1123 ED1133 stamped on the rear of the packaging which relates to Nov 2023 production date and a Nov 2033 effective (used by) date… I felt that 9/10th left of their shelf life was good enough to get my car going :p

Last edited:

the_boozer

no more VK
Reaction score
Members Ride
hilux
Everyone I know that buggerises around trying to rebuild keys has ongoing trouble with keys just bite the bullet and goto minute man and get a new key you wont have any key trouble for 2 or 3 years . My friend was at the shopping centre last week pulling his key apart as his car wouldn't start he changed the battery a week before .the things people do to save $50?

stooge

Reaction score
Members Ride
Turbo Alpaca
there is nothing special about the key and if changing a battery in the key causes some sort of issue it will be something that has been done during the change.
most of the time people bend the contact pins attempting to get the battery out which causes it to not work properly.

purchasing a "new key" every time you need a battery change is crazy.