Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Truckie escapes jail sentence

Macca86

Reaction score
Members Ride
XR6T Ute & a ZX6R
And this is where the judge comes into it, if he judged that it was likely that he were to reoffend, I'm sure jail time would have been a likely outcome. As it stands in this case, sounds highly unlikely he would.

Pretty sure it would be 'judged' very unlikely it would happen in the first place as well. But it did

And yes I agree it is a major failing of the community service program. Hence why it isnt suitable to be used as a 'punishment'

What would you have done? Have every person in jail who is 'judged' not to go straight back and re-offend released? because its not 'better' for anyone them being in there? Its a punishment!! Its not meant to do anyone good!

Macca86

Reaction score
Members Ride
XR6T Ute & a ZX6R
Errrr, it's also a valid way to spell it here.

It has BECOME a valid way, cause people have been stuffing it up for so long. Show me one gaol in Australia (before they became 'detention centres' etc) that has ever had a sign on it saying 'Jail' You wont find a single one

danja

Swerves for gay koalas
Reaction score
Members Ride
CBF 250 and a Levin ZR
What would you have done? Have every person in jail who is 'judged' not to go straight back and re-offend released? because its not 'better' for anyone them being in there? Its a punishment!! Its not meant to do anyone good!

I wouldn't make that decision based on that factor alone, but certainly it's a consideration.

Your take on the concept of punishment is simplistic - it's a behaviour modification technique. If there isn't a behaviour you want to modify, either in person being punished, or others who might see that punishment as a deterrent from them doing the same thing, then punishment is largely pointless.

Grennan

Slayer of Stupid Threads
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV G8 Sportswagon
The judicial system is supposed to reflect societal values. Its supposed to instill confidence in the public that they feel safe and that people who commit crimes are punished accordingly. Now a suspended sentence for killing 2 children does not instill confidence in me that our system is well and good.

Im not saying this man is a mass murderer and should be hung by his neck, but theres a good reason why society is so ****ed up. Our judicial system is nancy, lets all hug and give out suspended sentences. What message does this send to other careless drivers? What message does this send to the community about the strength of our judicial system?

When I was studing Penology we looked at what Prison is actually used for. Some say its for rehabilitation, some say its for deterring other people from committing crimes and some say its for punishment and some say its for retribution. Sure this man probably doesn't need to be rehabilitated, hes not likely to offend again. As far as deterring the public, it probably wont do much. However, it will punish this man for taking two lives. Retribution is a huge part of our justice system that seems to have been forgotten in recent years, in this country atleast. The victims (and in some cases Society is the victim) in the case, they are incredibly angry. They have not had their retribution. To them, this man has not paid. This undermines their belief in the system. This man should have seen the insides of a cell to punish him and to make the victims family feel like their childrens lives havent been looked at lightly.

When you do Criminology with ex barristers and ex federal coppers you tend to adopt a very cynical and harsh view :p

Last edited: