Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

TruTrac Single pegging

CookedVy

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore VY Ute 2003
Hey guys I’ve just recently bought a trutrac for my m80 diff. Done maybe 2 or 3 skids that spun doubles but now she only spins singles. I’m beyond pissed off as I’ve spent 2k on building a good diff for this car. Doubles up in a straight line but as soon as you spin in any direction it pegs. Just wondering if anyone’s had the same issue and if theres a way to fix it. I’ve spent too much money and time for it to mess up. Been through weldies and spools and wanted to go with sometime a little more legal cheers

Commo64

Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 VE Omega
There might be something wrong with the diff itself or something else, so I'd have a look on what's going on over there...

As for being legal, you're already breaking the law doing skids anyways, unless it's on a skid pad or "private property," though you're definitely doing it illegally lol

CookedVy

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore VY Ute 2003
There might be something wrong with the diff itself or something else, so I'd have a look on what's going on over there...

As for being legal, you're already breaking the law doing skids anyways, unless it's on a skid pad or "private property," though you're definitely doing it illegally lol
Have a feeling there is something wrong with it. As for being legal I meant not chirping around corners aha.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
What Trutrac did you fit? $2k sounds too cheap for a Harrop or Eaton.

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
What oil are you running?

How much power?

DavesSV6Tonner

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ S V6 Cab & Chassis
Hey guys I’ve just recently bought a trutrac for my m80 diff. Done maybe 2 or 3 skids that spun doubles but now she only spins singles. I’m beyond pissed off as I’ve spent 2k on building a good diff for this car. Doubles up in a straight line but as soon as you spin in any direction it pegs. Just wondering if anyone’s had the same issue and if theres a way to fix it. I’ve spent too much money and time for it to mess up. Been through weldies and spools and wanted to go with sometime a little more legal cheers
Sounds like it is working how a tru trac is designed to work.

J_D 2.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
2009 VE SSV M6 on LPG and 2022 Kawasaki Z650L
Sounds like it is working how a tru trac is designed to work.
It’s all in the name. Limited slip diff. If you want legs 11 for 100% of the time then you want a 100% locked diff.

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
A truetrac should lock up once it start spinning one wheel... unless that one wheel has absolutely zero traction (like having one wheel in the air).

My understanding is that truetrac diffs like mineral oil. My bet is it might have synthetic oil which makes them more "slippery".

I'd start with changing the diff oil.

J_D 2.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
2009 VE SSV M6 on LPG and 2022 Kawasaki Z650L
A truetrac should lock up once it start spinning one wheel... unless that one wheel has absolutely zero traction (like having one wheel in the air).

My understanding is that truetrac diffs like mineral oil. My bet is it might have synthetic oil which makes them more "slippery".

I'd start with changing the diff oil.

The Truetrac diff apportions more torque to the wheel with more grip. If you’re doing a burnout around a corner the system is going to apportion more torque to the outside loaded wheel and less to the inside wheel.

The system isn’t made to do burnouts, it’s made to apportion grip, which burnouts are a complete lack thereof. If your entire purpose is to do burnouts then you need a locked diff, not pout that your LSD won’t do what it wasn’t designed to do in the first place.