Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Trying to find a painter

lachie

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vp commodore 3.8ltr v6
hey guys, i live in melbournes eastern suburbs and was wondering if any of you guys know where i can get a quality job done for around 2- 2500?
for the life of me i cant, i got quoted 10000 the other day as well as 7 grand, its killing me haha
cheers for the help

lachie

wildss

Reaction score
Members Ride
vnss
for 2500 it will be pretty average.
i/we would charge you about 4k roughly for a blow over give or take

creesy

Reaction score
Just had this exact convo with someone else tried to explain that for a good paintjob with proper preperation don't expect much change from 10k

Vlad01

Reaction score
Members Ride
92 VP vacationer, 95 VR II exec, 92 VP S Pack
I have a mate whos job was spray paint/panel beating untill he was made redundant from the economy. He was going though all the how to paint and will help me do my vp.
yeah 10k I am not surprised with all the time consuming labor. Not to mention how much paint costs. I just wanted to redo the origanal VP vacationer blue and he told me its about 200-300 per 4l and you need 8l to do a proper job.
you need same amount of clear, cost a little less per L but not much less, then you need 4l of primer? and spay putty depending on how much/what areas have scratches/chips Then you need about 2L of plastic primer.

now chuck in sand paper, thinners, wax"n" grease remover(4l easy, though its cheap)drop sheets, tonnes of clean rags, masking tape, drop sheets. oh and dont forget one of the most important "putty" :)

Now do the maths.

Easy 1.5-2k in raw materials

now think about the labour every thing removed from your car including the hood, boot, panels, door trim, trim, bumpers, lights, decals, emblems, windows, handles etc.....!!!!!!!!!!!

Then think about perpetration and painting and the reverse of the above.

Yep 10k easy.

a1k3m1

Reaction score
Members Ride
2003 VY II S-Pack 25th Anniversary
and depending on what color you want, if you want the same color as your original color its abit easier, but if you want a complete different color and a good job... then the engine bays gotta get done, so the engines gotta come out.. Then you got your cheap paint colors like White and Black, and more expensive onces like Red and Silver.. Then if you want Metallic paint its a whole new chapter, or if you wanted Perl paint well thats a whole new book.... And if theres any rust, thats gotta be cut out and re-welded and bogged up, and as vlad said all the plastics have to be removed, unless you want a really cheap job they could just go around them...

i know a guy in melton that could do it pretty cheap, but as 'wildss' said it will be just a blow over job really, So really unless the paints rusted or cracked, id give a good hard polishing a try lol, that could give ya back some shine, But yeh i dunno really how bad your paint is so i cant judge..

So baisically in the end start saving up your cash!!, or do what a friend of mine did and went into various shops like autobarn and supercheap and buy the spray cans of paint and painted his car with them, hahaha it looked stupid, so nah mate don't try that.

lachie

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vp commodore 3.8ltr v6
yeah, i understand guys, thanks for all your help, i just had an idea of ve commodre blue, with white wheels and dumped, i like it haha, but i just cant afford more than 3 grand, i have been speaking to a mate about it and he had his car done for i think it was 2.5k its looks pretty dam good, ill look inot it but i will be very weary as u guys said all the costs, i dont just want a blow over job, i want it straight as ****, or esle there i no point,
thanks for all your help