Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Trying to identify what tank & sender unit in 84 vk

Scatman696

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vk berlina
Hey All,

I’ve recently bought a VK and I am currently fixing and working out what is what from the past owner.

The original dash fuel gauge has recently stopped working and I need to fix it. I was told it had been changed to a VN fuel tank - but not entirely sure.

What’s the best way identify what tank & fuel sender unit I have in my 84 VK?

I understand I’ll need to take it out etc, is this the only way to identify it?

Also, any tips on removing a sender unit will be appreciated, as the tank unfortunately is close to being full.

Tia

Smitty

Reaction score
Members Ride
GenF SV340 R8 Tourer, VK race car, ZX12R
VK sender units are different to VN

they have a locking ring with oring seal and VN is bolt on with cork seal (also as used on VLs)

tanks full? syphon fuel out via the filler (unless its a V8 tank with intank pump and you can drain them via the engine hard line using the pump)

Scatman696

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vk berlina
VK sender units are different to VN

they have a locking ring with oring seal and VN is bolt on with cork seal (also as used on VLs)

tanks full? syphon fuel out via the filler (unless its a V8 tank with intank pump and you can drain them via the engine hard line using the pump)
Legend thank you!! I’ll check this and drain it today. Cheers

gtrboyy

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt ss & lc gtr
Basically 3 types of tanks.....4 to 5 sender units to suit different models.

All are close enough ohm reading levels that fuel guages will work with each tank.

Earth fuel sender wire if goes to full then guage works.

Fuel senders held in with twist on ring usually vb to vk n/a ...filler neck attached to tank.
V8 models will have 2 pipes on sender & sle/calais will have extra plug for low fuel light.

vk efi & vl 6cyl efi have bolt in sender units,external fuel pump & return line fitting is drivers side of tank...filler neck attached to tank.
Fuel line pickup is larger diameter

vn to vs have bolt in fuel senders oval shaped plug....usually intank f/pump but earlier models were also external..Filler neck is removable can see filler neck hose.

Put up pic of sender unit & filler neck where it joins tank if want to know what car it probably came from.

Scatman696

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vk berlina

All are close enough ohm reading levels that fuel guages will work with each tank.

Fuel senders held in with twist on ring usually vb to vk n/a ...filler neck attached to tank.
V8 models will have 2 pipes on sender & sle/calais will have extra plug for low fuel light.

vk efi & vl 6cyl efi have bolt in sender units,external fuel pump & return line fitting is drivers side of tank...filler neck attached to tank.

vn to vs have bolt in fuel senders oval shaped plug....usually intank f/pump but earlier models were also external..Filler neck is removable can see filler neck hose.

Put up pic of sender unit & filler neck where it joins tank if want to know what car it probably came from.
Thanks for your detailed reply. I’ll get a picture for you in the morning - thank you so much cheers

Scatman696

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vk berlina

Sorry it’s not the best picture

Attachments

• IMG_9236.jpeg
    IMG_9236.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 35

gtrboyy

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt ss & lc gtr
Cant really tell 100% but want to say vn due to bolt in sender & oval eclectrical plug.

Does it have return line fitting on driver's side of tank?

Top of tank where filler neck goes can you see rubber joiner for filler to tank or is it joined to tank?

Should be able to jack car up high on jackstands...take bottom bolt out of sender unit fuel should leak out to drain decent amount out or if easier trigger fuel pump to run from relay or hotire it.

gtrboyy

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt ss & lc gtr
1711193112716.jpeg
vn removable filler neck & return on side...vr/s both fuel lines go through sender

s-l1600.jpg

Filler neck part of tank for vl