Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Tune advice

07GTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VEGTS BUILT BLOWN E85
the Gen3 does have a lean cruise but it's not enabled from factory, it will make the 02s mv go low constantly

dave64

Reaction score
Members Ride
vx5.7
the Gen3 does have a lean cruise but it's not enabled from factory, it will make the 02s mv go low constantly

What about fuel consumption with a mail order tune? They say "it will be as good or better" is this true?

At the moment i get as low as around 8L/100km which is 900km or better per tank (highway). That is on flatish road with 2 adults, 2 kids and using aircon. Good for a V8 imo and as good if not better than other family members similar V6's

The 3 pictures below show o2 sensors and fuel avg.
Pic3 shows typical values when o2's fluctuating
Pic1 shows o2 values when cruising. They go as low as 20mv, never go above 60mv. Typicaly stay steady on 30 - 40mv.

I emailed some people who do mail order tunes. I gave them details of my car and asked which of there tunes would best suit my car and what results i could expect to see and did not get a single reply. I am now a bit suspect of these tunes.

Attachments

• SG1.JPG
    SG1.JPG
    82.5 KB · Views: 135
  • SG2.JPG
    SG2.JPG
    72.3 KB · Views: 146
  • SG3.JPG
    SG3.JPG
    61.4 KB · Views: 147

07GTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VEGTS BUILT BLOWN E85
if ur at 30-40mv then that is lean so u could have a lean cruise enabled it should be around 450mv ave, going lean cruise dosnt always work it needs to be set up properly cos to go lean u loose torque and thus u need more throttle to get back so it needs other changes to help out, around the 8 litres per hundred is achievable without going lean

VTL67Calais

Vtl67 calais
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT L67 Calais blue
Yes got memcal ebay commodoretune one and it seems ok slight better gear shifts and overall better tune, will try long distance interstate next week.

VTL67Calais

Vtl67 calais
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT L67 Calais blue
It was to hard to tell if the economy changed going interstate as some sections had wild hills mountains and others had stretches, but on the hill climbs and pushing hard racing a 5 litre ve it did well and and the economy wasnt much different than the long straight halls with winding wills, was a lot of fun, speed camera vans every where though so was hard watching road, breaking with heavier load, looking at sceenery and watching speed limit. It is giving me a traction control light lately thouggh.

dave64

Reaction score
Members Ride
vx5.7
Yep, still thinking of getting a mail order tune.

Just bought and fitted VY HSV extractors and cats to go with 2 1/2" cat back i already had fitted. Also have a 4 inch smooth mafless pipe and VX has 2 hole airbox as standard with K&N hi-flow filter.

I watched following vid on youtube https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VfpmNhCKBis and was hoping someone could better explain what is said between 15:40 and 18:10.
As in what is, what is the difference between and an example of, a factory operating system mafless tune and a custom os mafless tune. He says factory os mafless tune will loose upper table and air/fuel mixture will drift. Custom os mafless tune will keep both tables and be more stable and accurate.

Is a 300kW mail order tune a factory os or custom os?

Should i go 285kW HSV tune or 300kW mafless? your thoughts please.

thanks
dave

Vt v6

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vt v6
Get a custom dyno tune!!!!!!!! Still asking what u should go for? Lollll

Tonner Matt

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ 1 Tonner LS1 M6
Get a custom dyno tune!!!!!!!! Still asking what u should go for? Lollll

You can't even sort out a VT commodore brake/steering shudder issue...:doh:...I wouldn't be getting too cocky and acting all high and mighty

Towcar

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Berlina Wagon
That doesn't answer any of my questions.

I'm sure a dyno tune would be much better under all circumstances, I also think a "mail order" tune as you put it can work very well, particularly on a stock engine.

cheers

Or blown your engine to kingdom come and back, or mess the fueling up so you end up with a gas guzzling turd.

The VE has very different power delivery, I know I can't keep up with my brothers car after my VX and his VE have had the same treatment.

Last edited: