Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Tuning in WA

SS Chris

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV Redline Series 1 UTE
Hi,

I bought my SSV Redline car already tuned, but it has a stock intake and was thinking of getting the OTR intake. The two ways I could go about it are OzTrack and Formula Tech Performance - Walkinshaw Performance.

I'm tempted to go with Formula Tech Performance because I wanted to get my car Walkinshaw certified. The reviews seem very mixed with the owner and some have had good experience while others have had their engine destroyed. Has anyone had their car done with Formula Tech Performance and can give their experience?

I could just buy the Walkinshaw parts and then go with Oztrack to be on the safe side as a tune is a tune.

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
Regal Peackock VF SS-V Redline Wagoon
If there are enough people who still think Walkinshaw aren’t cheap-&-not-so-great, there may be some resale value in getting the car “certified”?
But Walkinshaw isn’t that great. Unless there are reasons that are non-technical to Walkinshaw, I wouldn’t Walkinshaw.
Can you get better parts, or can OzTrack provide better parts?

Woodsy104

Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 VE Commodore SSV Sedan
Hi,

I bought my SSV Redline car already tuned, but it has a stock intake and was thinking of getting the OTR intake. The two ways I could go about it are OzTrack and Formula Tech Performance - Walkinshaw Performance.

I'm tempted to go with Formula Tech Performance because I wanted to get my car Walkinshaw certified. The reviews seem very mixed with the owner and some have had good experience while others have had their engine destroyed. Has anyone had their car done with Formula Tech Performance and can give their experience?

I could just buy the Walkinshaw parts and then go with Oztrack to be on the safe side as a tune is a tune.
I had a cam and lifter packaged installed by formula tech performance. It was horrible, the "tune" they did made less power then factory and had really bad detionation even with 98 octane. They also cleaned my throttle body without asking me and didn't reset the memory causing it to idle at 1500-2000 rpm. They also faked their dyno sheets as it said my car made 430hp while it only made 350hp. They also stripped out an exhaust manifold bolt hole by using a Bunnings bolt that wasn't even the right pitch. I would avoid them like the plague. There are way better shops around (like wa performance) who aren't utter garbage.

Last edited:

SS Chris

Reaction score
Members Ride
From the reviews, it seems like that. I get from the e-mail responses that they trying to pull me in and the only way I am going get anything good is by spending $6,000 and maybe I get my car back that's not worse off.

Woodsy104

Reaction score
Members Ride
From the reviews, it seems like that. I get from the e-mail responses that they trying to pull me in and the only way I am going get anything good is by spending $6,000 and maybe I get my car back that's not worse off.
I would really highly suggest avoiding them. Majority of the positive reviews are from people who don't know better and believe his lies. Like I didn't know something was up until I lost to a bone stock manual vx clubsport. I had to go back 3 times to try and get the throttle issue sorted (which never did). I gave up after the 3rd time and went to a different shop (WA Performance) where mitch told me the horror stories he has seen come from that shop. Mitch fixed all of ftp's screw ups (including the bunnings bolt) and had my car running 110% making a real 428 hp. In summary, the only thing you will get from FTP is a broken car and a lighter wallet.

SS Chris

Reaction score
Members Ride
Thanks for the warning and heads up. I think I go with Oztrack unless somewhere locally can do it for a cheaper price for the same quality of work. My last car was done with a remote tune and I never had any problems. They only thing I couldn't do was tell what power my car was making.

Woodsy104

Reaction score
Members Ride
Thanks for the warning and heads up. I think I go with Oztrack unless somewhere locally can do it for a cheaper price for the same quality of work. My last car was done with a remote tune and I never had any problems. They only thing I couldn't do was tell what power my car was making.
I recommend WA Performance

SS Chris

Reaction score
Members Ride
I will give them a go :)