Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Turbo Anyone ???

levymetal

TURN MY HEADPHONES UP
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV ENHANCED VP CALAIS
i know how turbos work, i also know that you don't get any boost of significance at low RPM on a turbo engine which leads me to the conclusion that a low rpm engine would not benefit from a turbocharger. at 100rpm you'd have very very very slow moving exhaust. this slow moving exhaust would most likely not even spin the turbo in the picture. even if it did, the amount it spun would not 'force' air into the engine... and lastly i think turbos are more useful for accelerating, but not cruising as you don't need air to be forced into an engine when it's cruising. and ships cruise for 99% of the time. i'm not an expert and i'm probably wrong haha but that's how i see it

f1tzy

Reaction score
Members Ride
FG XR6T Ute manual
i always thought ships ran big ass superchargers anyway

levymetal

TURN MY HEADPHONES UP
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV ENHANCED VP CALAIS
yeah supercharger seems practical, because it's driven off the engine's power it's definitely spinning, and the engine has enormous torque so you could easily gear it up to give a nice big boost. and i think what i said above was crap about it not needing air to be forced into the engine when cruising, it all depends on the load doesn't it... :p. ship engine would have heaps of load which requires more air and fuel than if it didn't have a load at all, even though it's spinning at the same RPM. haha. so ignore what i said up there.

BANKS

DW I'm a Spray Painter!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SSZ Ute
i've seen electric turbos in ships, electric motors driving air into the engine but not actual turbos. im still putting my money on the big mining dump trucks :)

levymetal

TURN MY HEADPHONES UP
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV ENHANCED VP CALAIS

f1tzy

Reaction score
Members Ride
FG XR6T Ute manual
lol well la-de-da. yea its unreal aye. did you see the bhp/litre? lol it was about 4.8 or something.

lgnd3800

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
BUSted VR
prob about 4mins lol