Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Turbo legality

ari666

250,000 hits
Reaction score
Members Ride
1966 impala, R32 GTR
What that says, is basically that the QLD GOV hasn't adopted the VSB14 in all of its entirety.

run!!!!

ccf29032012_00000.jpg

Darren_L

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH SS
What that says, is basically that the QLD GOV hasn't adopted the VSB14 in all of its entirety.

The QNCOP is what they go by and (granted) has changed allot to what they use to have. Even their heavy vehicles (VSB6 I think) has changed. QLD had some pretty relaxed laws regarding the ability for someone to modify their car in which ever way they wanted, because they never really kept their code of practice close to the VSB14, which now they have done.

The rules QLD now have are remarkably close to what we in NSW have. Our VSI6 (NSW/COP) is almost word for word with the new QCOP.

I still remember talking to an RTA/RMS engineer (I use that term loosely) about the modification I could do to my truck, and he repeatedly point me to the VSB14. After I spoke to an engineer that actually did engineering, he said the VSB14 is a load of **** and just a piece of paper, seems he was right because the list of engineering he did to my truck that was against the VSB14 was astounding (although just a guideline), which is why I think that the residence of QLD are confusing the simple fact the VSB14 (for the first time) has been taken into account when modifying the QNCOP document, and not been taken in all its entirety. QLD would be the first state to do so, and that on its own is unlikely.

bloody hell.... just admit you have no idea....
read the quote below from the TMR website, it is very clear regarding Qld approving the NCOP & QCOP. What is there to debate about that ?

From 1 May 2013, the National Code of Practice for Light Vehicle Construction and Modification and the Queensland Code of Practice: Vehicle Modifications are the approved codes of practice for light vehicle modifications. Light vehicle modifications (Department of Transport and Main Roads)

And there is no such thing as a 'QNCOP'. There is a NCOP and a QCOP. The NCOP Qld has approved for use is the national code of practice. It's not a Qld specific code of practice. The accompanying Qld Code of Practice is however specific to Qld.

I have already explained that Qld has adopted the NCOP, with some exclusions and additions which have been included in the accompanying 'Qld Code of Practice'. The Qld Code of Practice is to be used in CONJUNCTION with VSB14/NCOP. If you read the NCOP, you will note the NCOP will actually advise which codes do not apply to Qld.

Read the quote from the introduction of the QCOP http://www.tmr.qld.gov.au/~/media/S...ions/Heavy vehicle modifications/QCOP0214.pdf
The Light Vehicle section is intended to be used in conjunction with Vehicle Standards Bulletin 14 - National Code of Practice for Light Vehicle Construction and Modification (NCOP)

If your truck GVM is over 4.5 tonne, then VSB14/NCOP doesn't even apply to it. It's a light vehicle COP....
Doesn't matter if an engineer thinks VSB14 is a load of **** or not. In Qld an engineer CANNOT approve a modification unless he is authorised to do so by TMR.
And IF he is authorised to do so, then he is bound to comply with TMR legislation and codes of practice, otherwise his approval will be revoked by the state.

Earlier in the thread you boldly claimed Transport Inspectors only have limited knowledge of the legislation we enforce.....I've backed up my claims with legislative evidence and quotes from the Qld Govt's own website. In contrast you've presented a bunch of unsupported, outrageous claims and stories in this thread. You have provided no evidence to back your claims, nothing. Honestly, I don't believe a word about your 'engineer' stories.....

Last edited:

ari666

250,000 hits
Reaction score
Members Ride
1966 impala, R32 GTR
darren:

youre currently involved in an internet shitfight and its my legal obligation to inform you that no matter how factual or valid the information you provide, youre always going to get beaten by "my mate got his turbo V8 legal by...."

for everyone BUT darren:
im sorry, but VSB14 is cut and dry for vic, its not even up for debate. whether it be act, or law or whatever, ALL victorian governing bodies have adopted it. and im sure you could take it to a higher power and get certain guidelines lifted, as theyre very clearly "guidelines" as stated in the acts, but who the fk can be bothered.

every single car that i fk around with has to be covered by ADR, VSB4, and VSB14. every car we take to the engineer to have extra seats fitted all do it under VSB14 mod plates, even cars to be modded for disabled seats needs to be covered by VSB 14...

it just is what it is.

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
Adoption and law are two different things. The argument is whether VSB14 is legislated, it's not.

Darren_L

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH SS
Adoption and law are two different things. The argument is whether VSB14 is legislated, it's not.

Your arguement was actually that motor vehicle mods don't need to comply with VSB14/NOCP in Qld and as I have proved (with legislative evidence) you ARE required by legislation to comply with the NOCP/VSB14. ADR's aren't legislation either, but they MUST be complied with because it is stated as such IN legislation. Just like the NOCP.

It's written in Qld legislation (as quoted direct from Qld legislation in my previous posts) that a modified vehicle driven on a road must comply with an 'approved code of practice'. The NOCP is officially an 'approved code of practice'. What don't you understand about that ?

If it is stated in legislation, that a particular standard, code etc must be complied with, then that code becomes PART of legislation. If you can't understand that, then you are either seriously in denial or lack a basic grasp of legislation.

Last edited:

mr j-man

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH SL/E 355