Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

[Buick] turbo my vr

fatboyvk

Reaction score
Members Ride
1995 vr commodore
Hi guys
Am looking at turboing my vr.
I have a rebuilt series 2 engine and t5 box.
Wanting to know would my box stand up to the power.
Am I better to mount the turbo up front behind the radiator or on one side with a joined pipe.
What injectors should I use.
Should I use an after market ecu (link etc) or a new memcal.
T70 turbo seems the way to go, will the internals handle it.
Is there anything else I need to think about.

PaRaDoX

Because Racecouch...
Reaction score
Members Ride
none
Having actually done this my self (on a vn), no the turbo won't fit nicely on the side, between the radiator and the engine is the best option and you can buy manifolds prefabricated to do this

On the ecotec you can look at flipping the throttle to the other side for the cooler piping.

Here is my old setup, i did this back in 2006.
P04-04-07_17.jpg

P05-31-07_10.jpg

Haltech do a plug and play haltech E6XGM, they dont sell them new anymore as the E6 range is old stock
You can get some cheap injectors brand new, my 860cc injectors cost me $400 for a set of 6?
T70 is not really a good description, Best way is to do the maths and compare compressor maps and plot out the flow of the engine, lots of info on this on the internet.
Go for a Internally gated turbo as this will save you the hassle of a external wastegate, You can buy kits that have almost everything you need.

As for the T5, They're not known for being strong but having said this, Just dont dump the clutch and it will probably be ok, i'd be more worried about your clutch.

The Tune is critical, without this you'll pop it in no time, do NOT drive it without proper management
The VR runs ok compression ratio 9.0:1 which should be boost happy enough with the right tune.

You'll also want a highflow fuel pump, a slim radiator fan and then you have to worry about the oil return and feed!

fatboyvk

Reaction score
Members Ride
1995 vr commodore
The other thing is the setup currently in the vr is an auto so would an after market ecu would be best or get the vr ecu manualised and re tuned. Also how hard is that im in nz and don't know if anyone around here does that stuff.
Also I want to make my own manifolds so would I be better to make them out of the standard extractors or get plates made and make them from scratch.
Injectors what would be the min to make cc I would want .
The fuel pump would a walboro 500 do the job.

delcowizzid

on holiday
Reaction score
Members Ride
в∞ѕтεכ √&
ide be the closest turbo V6 nutter in NZ 111.4km away LOL

delcowizzid

on holiday
Reaction score
Members Ride
в∞ѕтεכ √&
and if i get hold of the guy who bought my old kit but never finished paying and collecting my bits there will be a whole kit there alllready to bolt on

chrrr

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Brolina 3.8 Turbo
He's in wellington, ive got a turbo vr sitting in petone.

I'd ignore most of that first reply to be honest
Side mount is good, room for loads of power, without the heat of the turbo cooking things in the front of the bay, and the manifolds are still piss easy to make.
Stick with stock ecu - delcowizzid will be able to help you out with a tune since you are local.
T-70's off trademe work fine, but there are good, and there are **** ones. we found the ones that japrace in christchurch sell are pretty decent. The size of them is just about perfect for the 3.8 for most people.
External wastegate always looks better, and is easier to replace when they stuff out, not to mention finding a big turbo with a internal wastegates going to be harder

Other than that you want:
2 bar map sensor
bigger injectors, we have had a good run with seimens deka 60lb ones
intercooler
nice big fuel pump/surge tank setup or at the very minimum a beefier internal one.

Are you going to the masterton drags in april? if you are, keep an eye out for a vb commododre with a 3.8/t70 combo under the bonnet, has a pile of 11 second slips to go with it. :)

fatboyvk

Reaction score
Members Ride
1995 vr commodore
I saw that on you tube in taupo where he blows 2 t5s

delcowizzid

on holiday
Reaction score
Members Ride
в∞ѕтεכ √&
haha yeah weve run out of T5's blown 5 or 6 so now bolting in the first T350 LOL heaps of video's of it on chrrrs account on youtube

chrrr

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Brolina 3.8 Turbo
Yeah he's a bit harsh on them, if you don't shift like a nutter then the t5 in yours will last for ages, might want a better clutch however.