Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

turbo my VR

Fast_VR_Boy

Twin Snails
Reaction score
Members Ride
Twin Turbo 300zx Targa
I was looking at the turbo kit for sale that would fit my VR, anyone know the amount of effort that goes into fitting this? the turbo is located Here

Also my car is an auto, will this not be as good? let me know any feedback woill be much appreciated

Last edited:

VN_Luke

ƃuoɹʍ ʇsnɾ sı sıɥʇ
Reaction score
Members Ride
Get in the ute
How much effort the kit is to install and setup depends on how fast you want your car to go, and how reliable you want it to be!

If you're handy with a spanner then I don't see any reason why you wouldn't be able to have it bolted in within a weekend...

If you're not handy with a spanner, but a quick learner, gather around some knowledgable mates and do it over 2 weekends...

Keep in mind you need an oil return fitting welded/glued/stuck into your sump .. which is the hardest part of the whole thing. Apparently you can also tap a return into the timing cover, which would make the install significantly easier.

Once it's all fitted up, you're a set of injectors and a TUNE away from having a beast of a car.

the auto will actually make the car quicker than a manual in a striaght line, provided you get it built suitably.

Calais_5sp

Reaction score
Members Ride
vn calais
for what you get its pretty cheap, its got everything you need bar the sump(for oil return)a 2bar map sensor, injectors(24psi wont be enough) and a tune.
so ur lookin at approx 3-3500 for a complete kit running with around 100% more power.
pretty cheap.
installation is pretty straight forward, i done all mine myself excet for the tune and a bit of welding. i say go for it.

Fast_VR_Boy

Twin Snails
Reaction score
Members Ride
Twin Turbo 300zx Targa
not having much turbo knowledge, would a basic mechanic be able to do the mods i cant complete myself?

with the map sensor please explain what it does and also whats with the sump? plz explain if ya can

Fast_VR_Boy

Twin Snails
Reaction score
Members Ride
Twin Turbo 300zx Targa
so how much boost is tomuch before engine internals need beefing up?

LowVp

VP Enthusiast
Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Ute 3.8T T56
i have mine tuned for 12 psi but i don't expect it to last long at all running that boost all day everyday do i've wound mine back to 10psi

shaness

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt ss 5.0
yeah go 4 it i got quoted around 3 and a half for a vt ss 5l

Calais_5sp

Reaction score
Members Ride
vn calais
ya sump needs a fitting attatched to it for the oil return from the turbo. in your na. v6 you have a 1bar map sensor which only can read up to atmospheric pressure, a 2bar will read up2 14psi. its has to do with the tuning of your car. a 1 bar wont be able to cope with boost very well so a 2 bar is needed. not too good with explaining things...do a search and youll find more info.
everything is just bolted together onto the outside of the engine so you shouldnt have ne dramas puttin it together. will just have to take it somewhere to get a tune.
ur stock motor will take 10psi pretty easily without doing ne internal work.

cano1

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS stateo 5ltr
Keep the auto, just add a stage 2 shift kit and 3,000stall convertor and then say goodbye to manuals in a straight line.

LowVp

VP Enthusiast
Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Ute 3.8T T56
best thing about a turbo is that they don't feed that pressure all the time, like i have been playing with it in traffic, move up behind traffic sitting under the speed limit usually do this in 100 zones, slip it back to 4th just before the car in front moves to the left lane then clutch in bring the revs up and throw it back into 3rd and boom like being shot out of a cannon and all the time i've only boosted when the foot has been thrown to the floor in 3rd