Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

turbo project: beginning

VT-565

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT
it is a type two turbosmart BOV. it holds untill i back off. it isn't a problem. it doesn't worry me if it goes off at 3 psi. as long as it doesn't go off when i have my foot down.. it may go off so easy because i have a fairly big fitting on the elbow for the hose to the throttle body..

It goes off because the air physically has nowhere else to go. The next weakest link is yout throttle shaft. If you were running more boost and had bov problems, you would probably bend the throttle shaft.

defa

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Commodore
yeah i know why they go off. that is the idea of them. i am stoked it works well. nothing worse than a bov not going off when it should

PaRaDoX

Because Racecouch...
Reaction score
Members Ride
none
umm defa has a turbo not supercharger, the air would go back thru the turbo and cause it to dose (compression surge, the vl's make it.. its like PSSSCHCH-TU-TU-TU-TU)

yeah i am now running a crank case breather to the airpipe before the turbo
fixed the seal, repalced leads with 90deg both ends so they dont foul anymore and ran them over rocker covers to prevent broken leads again

VT-565

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT
umm defa has a turbo not supercharger, the air would go back thru the turbo and cause it to dose (compression surge, the vl's make it.. its like PSSSCHCH-TU-TU-TU-TU)

yeah i am now running a crank case breather to the airpipe before the turbo
fixed the seal, repalced leads with 90deg both ends so they dont foul anymore and ran them over rocker covers to prevent broken leads again

Well, i asked defa what he had and he didnt tell me, so i presumed he had a little blower as mine used to do exactly as he described. Another thing too, when pressureised air forces back past the compressor, other wise known as 'compressor surge' or 'reversion', as you may well know, its a pretty bad thing. It can cause undue stress on the turbine shaft and you lose inertia of the compressor/turbine assembly which then takes longer to spool up.

Good to hear youre getting the car sorted though. Would be good to hear how you go.

defa

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Commodore
yeah sorry. i must not have read the bit where you asked what i had.. i spose since this is a turbo thread i thought ya would have realised..

PaRaDoX

Because Racecouch...
Reaction score
Members Ride
none
heheh yeah, its bad, turbo shafts dont like the changing directions rapidly..

well tonight im gonna go fix some things up with the car and hopefully get it running a bit better

i heat wrapped the dump pipe, changed leads to chevy v8 ones (used 6 of them) they have 2x 90deg connectors on em so i can avoid hot turbo manifolds, i also replaced rear inlet valley seal

just gotta get 2 bar map sensor working,
get the tune in (i have it burnt and ready to go)
remove blown to shreads exhust gasket
drain some oil (too much in there)

and then go get my exhust done