Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

turbo v8 vn how much can it handle

plymouth_hemi_69

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs v6 turbo, vn v8 turbo
hey there i got a turbo v8 and was wondering what poeples opinions are on how much power i can get out of my 5L v8 its had a fresh rebuild and makes 337kw at 13psi now i got a turbo cam i want to put in is that going to push it over the limit as i was also wanting to stick heads on. the tune i am getting will be a near perfect tune has anybody heard of good websites that provide detailed info on the 5L v8 and aftermarket websites for the 5L v8 as i cant really find any and havent really heard of any around

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
any idea what was done in the rebuild? you got reciepts for the work?

generally people say that 6500rpm and 400-450hp on a 2 bolt stock bottom end is safe. having said that people have spun em harder and made more power.

with a turbo you won't need to rev it to make power so keep the revs sensible and with some decent bottom end bits and it should survive.

plymouth_hemi_69

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs v6 turbo, vn v8 turbo
any idea what was done in the rebuild? you got reciepts for the work?

generally people say that 6500rpm and 400-450hp on a 2 bolt stock bottom end is safe. having said that people have spun em harder and made more power.

with a turbo you won't need to rev it to make power so keep the revs sensible and with some decent bottom end bits and it should survive.

hey mate nah dont have reciepts as the guy was a mechanic and doen it himself with a mate he said was rebuilt with standard everything just freshend up and the rev limit is at 5400 so i think its pretty safe i just basicly wanted to no what power i could get out of it reving it that low i read in another forum that you can give em whatever power you want if you keep the revs low

Immortality

Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
generally revs kill bottom ends. there are a few guys with turbo'd holden V8's on that other commodore forum. they could probably give you a much better idea of realistic limits of the stock parts when subjected to boost

Warranty Void

Take it apart? Me? No!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Berlina LX V8
You want to post some details there bloke? Maybe a pic or two? Standard injectors? One turbo or two?

Immortality

Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
there are some pics in his other turbo thread in the V6 section but i'm hoping he'll make a specific thread for this setup

Nzpure

VS L67
Reaction score
Members Ride
1997 Vs Supa6
i have worked in a holden dealership and the 304s are bullet proof as long as u dont rev them too hard.
they can thro rods even at standard with too much revs if it was me personally i would get the limiter dropped a bit further then u could bounce of the limiter safely =D but thats just me im a pussy when it comes to revs =D

plymouth_hemi_69

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs v6 turbo, vn v8 turbo
i will eventually make a thread of its own um its a single turbo hx50 turbo running 60lber injectors fpr

plymouth_hemi_69

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs v6 turbo, vn v8 turbo
ok thread made now go check it out but if any1 else can help out with the what the engine internals can handle

rxv3000

Reaction score
Members Ride
vy berlina gen III
have you put down a 1/4mile time yet. luv to know what it will do