Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

turbo with LPG?

xlr8_87

No longer a commy driver
Reaction score
Members Ride
'96 Prado 4x4
just wondering what the issues are with putting a turbo on an LPG car??

would it need some work with the computer?

and regarding injection of LPG, would it still be injected into the intake pipe, in the attached pic would it be after the BOV?

b3_1.JPG

just any info would be awesome cheers guys

VN_Luke

ƃuoɹʍ ʇsnɾ sı sıɥʇ
Reaction score
Members Ride
Get in the ute
I could be 100% wrong here :p

I was under the impression that lpg injection worked on pressure in the LPG tank, and vacuum of the motor sucking in the LPG from the tank...

once you're in a booooooosty goodness atmosphere, you would be blowing back lpg and air into the lpg tank, by means of a traditional setup!

do some reading on calaisturbo about a car GAS 747? or LPG 747 or something to that extent...

there's also an 11 second XE falcon blue thing scooting around on LPG with a turbo on it :) on fullboost.com.au (a while ago)

reading is your friend.

somerandom

Reaction score
there is a first 9 second turbo car on LPG - XE Falcon so anything is possible :)

somerandom

Reaction score
there's also an 11 second XE falcon blue thing scooting around on LPG with a turbo on it :) on fullboost.com.au (a while ago)

reading is your friend.

i need to correct you sorry :p

Jason's Ghiller's 4.0-litre turbocharged XE Falcon going 9.97 at 132mph. This is the first car in Australia to run a 9-second pass on LP Gas fuel.

will post video when i upload it cause you can't direct link from fullboost cause you need an account :(

Cheap6

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Exec
The details depend on which particular type of LPG system we are referring to.

The pressure in the LPG tank will always be much greater than that in the intake system = not possible to blow back into tank, regardless of whatever else is also in the way of that occurring.

If the pressure regulator/convertor is referenced to the pressure between the turbo compressor and the t'body, the pressure regulator/convertor will simply behave as if it were operating in a (very deep :) ) mineshaft.

Ignition timing changes will need to be made within the ECM, as they would be for a turbo engine on petrol.

SweetWagon

booosted
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Berlina Wagon Supercharged
I've actually heard of gas injection setups, like fuel injection. Whether or not they retain the factory computer im not sure but they would be far better IMO.

VN_Luke

ƃuoɹʍ ʇsnɾ sı sıɥʇ
Reaction score
Members Ride
Get in the ute
i need to correct you sorry :p

Jason's Ghiller's 4.0-litre turbocharged XE Falcon going 9.97 at 132mph. This is the first car in Australia to run a 9-second pass on LP Gas fuel.

fair enough! I swear last time i read about it (2 years ago?), it was running 11's on a stock bottom end? turboed, on gas?

Regardless, TOP EFFORT by the owner!

xlr8_87

No longer a commy driver
Reaction score
Members Ride
'96 Prado 4x4
i might have to go into Gas Research and talk to them, will posting a pic of my current engine/LPG setup help in answering?

thanks for the help so far

Doctor Bob

Grandpa
Reaction score
Members Ride
RG. Colorado & Caravan
A mate of mine has a 1948 Anglia with a 1GG toyota turbo engine in it straight gas & ran 12.4 at the nostalgia drags the other week.
the LPG needs extra time to tune but its ok.

Rob

Cheap6

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Exec
I've actually heard of gas injection setups, like fuel injection. Whether or not they retain the factory computer im not sure but they would be far better IMO.

Most gas injection systems use a stand alone computer for the gas side. Better? Yes. They are significantly more expensive than the carb. or gas ring systems though.

Regarding injection of LPG, would it still be injected into the intake pipe, in the attached pic would it be after the BOV?

Sorry, negelected to answer this. Yes, the gas will need to be introduced downstream of the BOV. Not doing so will result in venting of a fuel/air mix into the atmosphere (which will require the local fire station on speed dial on your mobile) and an excessively rich mixture as well if fed back into the compressor inlet.

In non injected LPG systems, it is desirable to locate the mixer or gas ring close to the throttle body to allow better control over fuel mixture anyway. Not doing so is one reason for backfires in poorly thought out gas systems.

i might have to go into Gas Research and talk to them, will posting a pic of my current engine/LPG setup help in answering?

A pic and/or short description won't hurt :).