Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Twin throttle body for v6

Status
Not open for further replies.

commodore665

expat Saffa
Reaction score
Members Ride
2005 SV6 & Alfa Romeo 156 V6
easiest way to get more from your car ? , full service , new plugs , new leads , new coil pack if you want , cheaper, easier as mentioned , plus you wont get mocked for wanting to up the power on a V6 , been there done that .

Vpwagon93

Reaction score
Members Ride
Flat black vp wagon skid car
It goes good I just wanted to see gains but you guys said not worth it so I'm not gonna try may aswell put an sc14 blower on it

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
Seeing as this is a skid car, I'd do it. The benefit of having twin TB's mounted on top of the plenum (instead of the single at the back) as that it solves the air distribution problems you have with the standard manifold where the air going into the 2 rear most intake runners has to do a very nasty turn. Holden tried to fix this problem by fitting the bellmouth plastic insert inside the intake manifold.

If it's a skid pig, cut some holes, weld em on and go for it. Ideally, you would want to find a decent piece of alloy plate (to weld on top of the plenum) so that both TB's will line up properly, then it's a simple matter of making a small link between the 2 butterfly shafts. Use the IAC and throttle cable on the first TB and use the TPS on the 2nd TB.

I'd still suggest getting a tune done for it. The factory VN/VP tunes are fairly lame. With the twin TB's you can get some more fuel and timing into it easy. Get the limiter taken up as well as limiter bashing just isn't cool unless you drive an LS1 :poke: :boxing:

Also fit an ecotec oil pressure bypass spring, it will ensure you have better oil pressure when things get hot.

Roidz

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR MANUAL S-PAC
Also fit an ecotec oil pressure bypass spring, it will ensure you have better oil pressure when things get hot.

Is this a good idea to do to any Buick in General? How do I go about that mate?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Immortality

Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
It is, you simply unbolt the oil filter extension housing (4 bolts, you need to remove the oil filter), slide out the old spring, slide in the new spring and bolt it back up with a new gasket.

Early VN's ran about 40psi max, VP/VR ran about 50psi max but the ecotecs have about 75psi and about 50psi at idle. With the design of the Buick 3800 and ecotec oil system + bearings you need this extra pressure, especially when things get hot and the oil thins out more.

Roidz

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR MANUAL S-PAC
It is, you simply unbolt the oil filter extension housing (4 bolts, you need to remove the oil filter), slide out the old spring, slide in the new spring and bolt it back up with a new gasket.

Early VN's ran about 40psi max, VP/VR ran about 50psi max but the ecotecs have about 75psi and about 50psi at idle. With the design of the Buick 3800 and ecotec oil system + bearings you need this extra pressure, especially when things get hot and the oil thins out more.

Sounds sweet mate!! I'll be doing this at my next oil change in 2000kms!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Vpwagon93

Reaction score
Members Ride
Flat black vp wagon skid car
Cheers immortality I'm definitely thinking about doing both of the things you said I want it to live for aslong as it can

Jxfwsf

Reaction score
Members Ride
commodore
Get a VR engine (more refined in some internal aspects and a higher compression ratio), put a vn s1 cam in it (should be able to find 1 for a dollar maybe 2, specs were close to a stage 2 crow cam for a vn sII/vp/vr engine iirc), vn s1 timing cover & timing sprockets and chain, put all this together with a VN s1 memcal and it'll be cheaper and give more gains than $500 on a ttb manifold.

bellmouth doesn't make alot of difference, it was mainly put in there with the later VN changes to smooth idle along with the cam changes, one of my cars has it removed just to see if there is any difference in lean/rich cylinders and everytime i change the plugs they all look exactly the same.... sure if it was a carby it'd have an effect on this but efi doesn't suffer much.

Immortality

Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
I don't think you can just use a VN memcal in a VR as they are different model ecu's.

Your not going to notice much difference from the plugs on EFI engines unless it's running real bad. EFI plugs always seem very clean/white. Much more so than carby engines which are much more tan.

Anyway, twin TB's out the bonnet look good on a skid pig and gives great throttle response.

Status
Not open for further replies.