Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

twin turbo or supa charger?????

klaw81

Reaction score
Members Ride
VYII SV8
You could just sell your current car and get a V8 version. That would cost you around $4-5k and give you the potential for 300kW+ with a couple grand spent carefully. You'll also get some bling bits and better suspension into the bargain. You should get reasonable resale on your new car, since it's not heavily modified.

Alternatively, you can modify your current engine. A single-turbo or supercharger setup shouldn't cost any more than $6-7k, depending on how you go about it and how much power you want. You could get some pretty serious power from it, but you will also be putting some serious extra loading on your motor and ancilliaries and they may need replacing. The other downsides are that your car will be extensively modified, which means your resale market is limited, you're without your car for quite a while, and you will never get much of your modification money back. However, you will have a unique and interesting car at the end.

The last option is to actually fit a V8 to your current car. In my opinion, the amount of inconvenience, money and time required is not worth it. If you want a V8, buy a car with a V8.

benno_

VT - ESSSSS PACK
Reaction score
Members Ride
BLACK VT - S PACK, 5 SPEED
You could just sell your current car and get a V8 version. That would cost you around $4-5k and give you the potential for 300kW+ with a couple grand spent carefully. You'll also get some bling bits and better suspension into the bargain. You should get reasonable resale on your new car, since it's not heavily modified.

Alternatively, you can modify your current engine. A single-turbo or supercharger setup shouldn't cost any more than $6-7k, depending on how you go about it and how much power you want. You could get some pretty serious power from it, but you will also be putting some serious extra loading on your motor and ancilliaries and they may need replacing. The other downsides are that your car will be extensively modified, which means your resale market is limited, you're without your car for quite a while, and you will never get much of your modification money back. However, you will have a unique and interesting car at the end.

The last option is to actually fit a V8 to your current car. In my opinion, the amount of inconvenience, money and time required is not worth it. If you want a V8, buy a car with a V8.

thats what i want something diff!!!!! i no illl have to change the drive lines and diff in the end but its worth it i really want to do one of these but cant make my mine up....

ls1 is good but by the time i put that in and then i wont have much to spend on it ( buying the engine then putting in and tunning!!!) i wont have much left to play round with!!.... that y i wonna mod mi engine now caz i got the cash to do it im going all out like pistons, bored out, turbo or supa chrger, cams, exhast, computer, injectors, fuel pump, **** like that
well anywayz cheers boy thanx for the advice !!!!
hope to hear more

cheers,,,,,,,,,

MaN|aC

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT 4.2 S/C
im on the same boat as you benno, im getting a 4.2 stroker long motor from COMEracing and i'll be putting a supercharger on it later on. When im finished with it im expecting around 220rwkw from it. It will be differently unique and thats what I want.

minux

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 SSV Redline
im on the same boat as you benno, im getting a 4.2 stroker long motor from COMEracing and i'll be putting a supercharger on it later on. When im finished with it im expecting around 220rwkw from it. It will be differently unique and thats what I want.

So you are spending how much to make the same power as a tuned LS1?

Sorry but for the piss poor power figures you get from a 6, i wouldnt waste my time. Spend 4k on an LS1 engine, $1500 on a new box, few hundred on diff, $800 on tune, $2k on custom zorst, you will have 230 rwkw. Spend another 6-8k on cam and heads you are looking at 310rwkw easily...sorry but the LS1 plan is a no brainer comapred to the 6.